Agnostic.com

9 1

Does it seem like religious people try to get under your skin on purpose?

They will say some of the most stupidest things. They may say things like," it's ok, God still loves you." Or ," you're one of gods creations and he wants the best for you." Sometime I'm convinced they do stuff like his to try and get on your nerves.

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh yeah... i use to say that. It worked a lot. Not with one of us on this forum. Im sure i pissed people off. But i felt strong in that, as i do in this.

The zealots do. And the passive-aggressive ones. But they make up a minority of the bulk of believers.

there driven to be fools and im driven to question everything.

Or I'll pray for you. Love that one. Jesus died for your sins. Then I ask them about dinosaurs.

I always felt them using Jesus' death was a form of manipulation.

I think it's a human thing. We like pushing each other's buttons... especially when it comes to areas of strong beliefs. I see us do it to them as well. We're still tribal, and this is one of the ways we try to show dominance.
I have a saying, though: "I may have pushed your buttons, but I didn't install them."

Very insightful dude. I like your style...

Of course they do. They have a double agenda. One is to convince you in any way they can so they can 'save' you from the fiery pits of everlasting hell. The other is more important to them. Only by repeating these mantras of theirs can they maintain their position of moral superiority and keep themselves convinced that they actually do believe the holy bullshit they've been feeding themselves.

I don't talk to many religious types IRL, but I know people who have gotten the little digs they like to throw around.
"I'll pray for you." "You'll be in my prayers anyway." 'Have a blessed day." These are a few they'll say even after they know you don't believe that crap.

Lol yep!

Nah, don’t let it bother you. Just think, they don’t even know what they mean when they reference “god.” It’s basically just a verbal tick that self-proclaimed religious people say. I kind of take it as a compliment that they actually care and want the best for me. I find that most religious people are pretty nice, they’re just somewhat lacking in rational and nuanced thought.

I probably shouldn’t have said they don’t know what they mean when they reference god. How the hell should I know what they mean? Lol

I think they honestly believe in their good wishes. Some might be purposefully rude/mean, but mostly they are sincere.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5660
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.