Agnostic.com

10 10

Henry David Thoreau on boredom.

Thoreau’s point about boredom is that it is the state of limited mental capacities, or of being mentally “asleep”. An intelligent and alert mind is never bored. In our surroundings, there are always a thousand things that are fascinating and sublime.

I am never bored. There's always something interesting and/or amusing to enjoy.

Today I washed and dried my insanely thick hair. Instead of groaning about how long it takes, I amused myself mentally.

I thought of my heavy hair as the pelt of an Arctic animal that needs it for warmth. It repels liquid and takes a long time to absorb water. Takes forever to dry. Otters spend much of their lives in water. By the time I finished, I was grinning.

Today we had cold rain and snow in the mountains. Clouds just lifted and the foothills are lovely with new snow. Now the sun is dropping behind the foothills, lining clouds and foothills with shining gold. Gorgeous!

This is your LIFE, not a rehearsal.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am rarely bored when left to myself. But Henry lived alone in the woods, so people left him alone to get on with the things which interested him. The main time I get bored, is when people think I need amusement and that they can provide it. Maybe that's what he meant when he said, that, he would run a mile if he heard that someone was intending to do him good. LOL

@Fernapple

If you read Thoreau's book "Walden," you would know he walked to town to purchase supplies.

His project was an experiment in living simply and deliberately. Whenever possible, he reused materials instead of purchasing new supplies. He spent money on essential items.

@LiterateHiker Yes I love "Walden" one of my favourite childhood books.

I told my daughter when she was 8 that only boring people got bored and she was smart enough to enjoy herself if she put her mind to it. She never complained and was always able to entertain herself after that.

When my kids whined they were bored, I said they must be boring then, ty o think of what to do that isnt boring. I heard my daughter tell her friends that when they said it

@gigihein

Exactly.

"I'm bored," Claire said. "Let me know how you solved that problem," I replied.

Beautiful pictures as well as great insight in to your mindset. You have too many great pictures I have seen in the past. It would be hard to choose the best. You are right. There is wonderful scenery out there.

You nailed it. Bright people may be more or less stimulated, but are never bored.

@Mitch07102

Thank you. I appreciate your support.

Great photos. I would love to frame them and hang them on the walls of my home. 😀

@BestWithoutGods

Thanks!

Send me a message with your email and I will email you these photos.

That's the smallest Mountain Goat kid I have ever seen. Delightful that it looked my way as I took this photo.

@LiterateHiker No need to email them. I can copy the photos from your post and print them. Do I have your permission to do so? 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Of course it's okay. Emailing photos will be more clear.

@LiterateHiker I messaged you with my email address, in order to keep it somewhat private. 🙂

Boredom comes from many directions. Sometimes from depression, where the mind cannot find interest in anything. Other times it can come from a lack of stimulation - dull working conditions where a person cannot escape the monotony or repetitiveness of tasks. In this perhaps Thoreau, is correct. As Mary Poppins sang, make every task a game. It's what I do at work - although I do have a very interesting job!

That is a valid point.

Love your pictures ,especially one of the sun at the top of the mountain ,good timing for that shot

@RoyMillar

Thanks. While hiking, I am usually the only person who spots beauty and takes a picture.

"Why don't you wait and take the photo on the way down?" Karen asks. "Because the light will be different and clouds roll in," I reply. "I want to capture this moment."

Descending, I carefully pick my way down steep trails and miss the view.

Lazy people are the quickest to get bored as it is to much work for them to be unlazy ,so they just stay in a board state and hope something will happen ,but they do not bother to think about it

I am never bored. Sometimes I just can't decide what I want to do, there are so many options to choose from.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566085
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.