Agnostic.com

10 5

Should the US stop its Imperialistic meddling in the Middle East?

Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan has been the site of unconscionable proselytizing of christian values on both the troops and surrounding local population. Troops have been reprimanded for distributing bibles both off and on base. Flyers are pasted everywhere from the bathrooms on base to walls off base spouting bible verses. Even the menus posted on base in the dining facilities have bible verses and "Thank the Lord!" printed in bold type. This is a clear violation of the code of conduct in a war zone and is extremely insulting to the foreign troops as well as many US soldiers who do not adhere to christian theology who use these facilities. It is also counterproductive when trying to win the "hearts and minds" of the Afghani people. It is but one of many examples of our insensitivity to the values of the local people and our clumsy bullying in our imperialist wars abroad. There is no secret that these are not wars of liberation. Rather they are wars to loot other countries of their resources and to make the world safe for McDonald's and KFC. Enough! It is time we stopped wasting our resources that could better be spent at home! Should the US stop its imperialistic meddling in the Middle East?

GareBear517 7 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

United States foreign policy should always be based upon Americans first. Not one dollar should be spent anywhere else in the world until every one here is fed housed and medicated properly. not extravagantly but as necessary. No good should be imported until the tariff has matched the price of an American made unit. Our Constitution and our congress should be updated to eliminate the influence of the mega rich. A one law for all amendment would help a lot. I had two majors, poli sci and history when I graduated and was a field service engineer for a large defense contractor at the time. the head of the Political Science Department was From India; his brother was the ambassador from Indian to France. So he was very well qualified in the arena; and endeavored to pass some of it along. Our government is for our country, and should not try to rule the world. We should stop interfering everywhere, our interest is within our borders. a Spirit of co-operation is necessary, but not control.

they should stop but they can't the united states is an empire and need to keep going to war to keep money flowing in

Geeze! I don't agree with the bible verses all over the place. But then i don't agree Islam or Mohamed or thier beliefs. Harmless little bible verses. They're goofy. Im just not into shouting it out with these needy persons. Ive seen radical christians screaming out a bus ,jesus loves you! Ok! Its just a thing. Its better then bullets whizing past my head. Or dogs in a tunnel pulling out the north Vietnamese buy their head. I can go on about real life and things that will dazzle you. You know, even Rome let them do their own thing. Then the priests said oh shit, crucify him! Are we them? It will all work out. I say, thumbs up, let them live!

I believe we should stop our meddling and regime changes throughout the world.

Long-erm, yes. But, first, we need to throttle down our thirst for oil.

There is no reason we cannot do that immediately. China now has 36% of it's energy supplied via recyclables especially solar, but the US doesn't want to do this as the Petrodollar and oil are one of the key ways we control the world. We are going to have to do A LOT of apologizing when no-one no longer needs as much oil.

If we really wanted to do away with fossil fuels it could happen in 10 years. The technology already exists and would vastly improve if sustainable energy sources were mandated. Outlawing diesel and internal combustion engines would see a rise in the use of electric cars and who knows what else. I've seen articles about cars that run on everything from water to walnut shells. The corporate plutocracy that now owns the American government is not acting in the interests of the people or the environment but in the interests of its own bottom line. Until the last drop of oil is wrung from the last ounce of tar sands they will not be satisfied. These are the naysayers who deny the existence of environmental collapse despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary. If we do not wrest control back from these monsters we are doomed.

@GareBear517 as the oligarchy now controls the media----we are doomed. There is no way to get the word out. The NSA and other government agencies monitor all communications. To get the legislation thru to allow this was the point of 9/11. Small sacrifice to get America to surrender privacy. So until the need is recognized for the second revolution here we are. The only group I see who could ever succeed in recovering our country and our freedom is the veteran, they have the training and the contact with the military to establish control until a legitimate new government can be elected.

This is a topic that is troublesome for me. On the one hand what right do we have to continually invade other sovereign nations and take their resources? But on the other hand the only path to peace is a singular global empire and the only way to that is conquest.

I cannot see how a singe global empire would ever be built through war. Through diplomacy sure, but if from war you would always have uprisings happening and never get any peace.

I'd rather go the route of relinquishing power by all nations incrementally to a United Nations rather than clubbing other nations over the head in a truly global war. I believe that war is the route we are now following to subdue all adversaries and it ain't a-working!

The continual uprisings wouldn't happen. We live on conquered land. It's pretty peaceful.

Thank you for posting that. Can you tell me how to opt out of paying for us to proselytize the natives? That's really quite rude.

One of the reasons I am Mr. Alternative Transportation and Energy is that if we no longer need other people's resources, we might wind up killing a few less people.

My upcoming novel SCAPEGOATS (Golden Fleece Press March 2018) was written during the worst of the siege of Aleppo. So I put my own Aleppo in the book and the Salvation Air Force relieve the siege with the Helikites, sort of flying windmills.

well DUH !!!!!!! tell your oil corporations to stand down before all we won during ww2 is lost

It is time we stopped wasting our resources abroad where they actually appear to do more harm than good and spend that money at home. Imagine what just $100 billion would do for eduction or healthcare?? That's an 1/8th of a bloated military budget. Heck, we could just cut the military out all together, write checks to the cronies and freeloaders who use our current military budget as their own way of building wealth (think Cheney/Haliburton), and we'd all still be better off as the rest of the world would hate us less.

As far as I'm concerned the military's only legitimate mission is to defend our borders from invasion. We have morphed this job description to include protecting and furthering US interests abroad, a murky mission statement that allows for just about anything. I got into a conversation with a medical transport driver today who said he had been in the military for 20 years ever since Desert Storm an started reeling off all the countries to which he had been assigned flying choppers and rescuing injured soldiers mostly in the Middle East. He stopped himself and said, "An d then there were the countries south of the Equator I'm not allowed to talk about. I knew he was referencing the 53 out of 54 African nations where we maintain bases and carry out military missions without the knowledge or consent of the American public. The US military is a bloated monster that needs to go on a diet and be reined in. Medicaid and Social Security must be cut back, they say, because of their impact on the national debt. But the military needs an increase?

Sounds more like Missionary meddling that Imperialistic meddling. If it were good old-fashioned Ipearialistic meddling, we would put the natives on reservations and take all of their oil.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 28, 2017

We're working on it. All of our military incursions in the Middle East are about looting those countries of their resources and imposing our culture on theirs. Apparently, until every Arab is downing pork sliders and quoting the bible we will not be satisfied.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5666
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.