Agnostic.com

2 5

LINK Three Newly Elected Democrats in Manlius, NY Reject Bible When Taking Oath | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Last November, four liberals won seats on the Manlius Town Board in New York, flipping it back to Democratic control and giving them a 5-1 advantage on the committee. (It was a 5-1 Republican advantage before the elections.)

Huge change, obviously, and the result of a grassroots campaign that focused on the need for more transparency at meetings and more public involvement.

Last week, when those new members were sworn into office, they showed just how difference this board would be when three of them chose not to take their oath on a Bible. They took their oaths on the town book of codes instead.

snytiger6 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A small step tords the age of enlightenment. Despite 45 trying send us back into the dark ages.

If I ever need to be sworn in publicly I'll force them to let me put my hand on the Kamasutra, swearing on the Bible is swearing by something that should be sworn at.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566761
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.