Agnostic.com

5 20

This was a bad day for America, but there is a big silver lining.

From Daily Kos.

Yesterday was one of the worst days ever seen for the American republic. But as Democrats, we should all be happy about one thing that we have today, that we did not have yesterday.

We won the Presidency and the majority in the Senate and House of Representatives.

We have the Judiciary Committee, and all of the other committees that decide and implement what our priorities as a nation will be.

Which also means, we will get the Supreme Court appointments we want. And the federal judges we want; and the environmental and social policies we want.

We also can advance legislation to help the American people, without worrying that it will be blocked or not put to a vote Mitch McConnell (at least up until the point where GOP of the filibuster prompts Joe Manchin to have a change of heart). That $2000 of relief to working Americans? It’s coming.

We control the legislative agenda, and we can force Republicans to take unpopular votes that damage their chances in 2022.

We have the Justice Department. We can appoint the U.S. attorneys throughout the country, decent people who will work for actual Americans, rather than corporations or some theocratic ideology.

We also have a few Republican Senators who we can work with on “some” matters.

Biden’s cabinet appointments will now be confirmed. That means Democratic policies on climate and the environment, civil rights, voting rights, housing, health care, education, and foreign policy will be forthcoming without Republican interference or dilution.

The Affordable Care Act is safe (no, the Supreme Court is not going to invalidate it based on that Texas case), and can be strengthened.

We wipe out all of Trump’s destructive regulatory malfeasance he intended to pollute our environment.

We can re-establish treaties and alliances that Trump destroyed. We can rejoin the international community.

We have control over every federal agency, and the vast regulatory apparatus that comes with it.

We control the bully pulpit, and messaging (if, God help us, we learn how to use it).

We have the tools to immunize the entire population against COVID-19 and get us out of this pandemic nightmare.

We have the tools and the means to aid the American people in this economic crisis.

We will no longer be subjected to rule “Tweets” tapped out a malignant sociopath.

But most of all, we have intelligent leadership which now has the ability to work for the American public.

Yes, this was a sucky day. But there is a silver lining to it.

(I’m sure there’s a ton of things I missed, but this is what initially came to mind).

[dailykos.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Try to become more European and less 18th century British-ish. It's taken Europe a long time to socially get where it is today and millions losing their lives because of it. Now is the chance for the USA to try and catch up.

Pretty much correct. The comment on existing judgeships not being vacated immediately is important. But there were positive results today. It was also eye-opening for many

It was the worst of days ,US almost turned into a banana republic ,It was the best of the days enlightment and Democracy has prevailed

I'll also agree with almost all of that -- I do agree with SeaRay215ex about the judiciary.

And I'll add that I'm not looking forward to listening for four years to Blue Dog Democrats pushing their agendas -- amplified because Democrats will have to constantly pay attention so that the very thin majority is maintained.

But I am, as you mentioned, deeply pleased that McConnell will not be able to enforce his automatically (automaton-ally?) partisan agenda.

While I am in complete agreement with everything you point out here.........let’s not forget something.

Right now the Federal Judiciary is dominated by many of Big Chumps appointees. They would have the power to block Biden’s plans. But now that Dems will control the Senate, hopefully he will get to even it out more with whatever appointments come his way including SCOTUS.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566769
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.