Agnostic.com

12 4

Agnostic: Are you a atheist?

Anyone can answer this post but it is mostly for my Agnostic familia and please don't take offense to anything I post. I don't mean to offend anyone.

So, for my Agnostic people on here. Have you ever been compared to being an Atheist? I have noticed that people believe that if you are agnostic you are pretty much an Atheist. My family are these type of people, and even though I have nothing against my religious family ( Unless I get force fed their religion ) it still kinda upsets me when I get told " I'm pretty much an Atheist. " Like no, I am not a Atheist, am an AGNOSTIC. There is a complete difference between the two so please don't compare me to something that is totally different from what I believe.

Now to my Atheist people on here, how do you feel when someone compares a Agnostic to Atheism? Does it upset you? Do you, yourself know the difference?

( I have nothing against Atheism by the way, it just upsets me when I get told that I am an atheist when I'm not )

LimeO 4 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The labels that others try to give us are irrelevant, to my mind anyway. I'm an atheist. That's what I say I am. If someone tries to say I'm anything else, unless they're doing it to my face, I tend to let it go because it really doesn't matter to me. Usually, I find a lot of believers don't understand the difference between atheism and agnosticism. They tend to see anything that isn't belief as atheism. Trying to explain the difference is usually an exercise in futility.

I think people find comfort in putting others into a box or category they can easily define when they're scared, ignorant or misinformed. If you know who you are, regardless of any classification, it's easier to cope with family who think you're going to burst into satanic flames at any moment.

all you can do is try to explain the difference. don't waste your energy being angry. I don't think this is something the average person thinks about

There is confusion about the two terms. I often say that I do not believe in a little gray-haired man playing pocket pool in the clouds. I do not believe that there is a creator that created humans and the Earth in a few days. I do not believe in the Bible in its literal sense. I do not believe in praying to the Almighty. I do not believe the almighty has a plan for individuals ,all humans or the future. So in many ways I am an atheist. The difference is the atheist cannot scientifically prove their point any better than the Christians could prove theirs. I consider myself an agnostic because I'm open to the idea of something so large and so impossible to Define that MIGHT exist.

My $0.02 is that at both ends of the spectrum. saying you KNOW there is no God is as logically fallacious as saying you KNOW there is a God.

The efforts of those who specialize in logic and philosophy should have a summit meeting and settle the meanings of these terms once and for all. This is getting tedious.

Personally, I'm with you on the ridiculousness that the God of the bible exists, but when I debate with a believer, I'm ALMOST there... 99.9%. I say that to maintain logical integrity because again, you can't technically prove a negative.

Clear definition of these terms is obviously lacking. We need to agree on a standard, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

What @AMGT said...

I'm a devout atheist!

Even though I identify as an atheist, it would by no means offend me to be considered agnostic. Both need definitive proof to believe. I feel more certain no deity exists, but no one has all the answers.

The first time I had this issue was when I was in the Marines....I even had to have 'Atheist' on my dogtags whether I liked it or not. It wasn't until the internets age (I was active during the arpanet age, pre-internets, but Agnosticism was pretty much understood then) that all these variations were being pushed around...I had a church of my own once, Church Of Agnos....Our motto was 'Once you realize or accept that you are ignorant, you are ready to learn.' Not perfect, but it worked. Good question, by the way.

Good motto. Pretty accurate one at that

yes i am a militant atheist. I saw a law prof. on tv the other day . she said" people "with" religion are intellectually backward" !! I loved that moment . we need more on the box.

I am both an agnostic, and an atheist. What this means is that I don't absolutely know that there is no god of any kind (agnostic), but I don't believe in any gods (atheist).

There is the belief in Agnosticism and then there is using the term to modify Atheism or Theism like using gnostic to modify Atheism or Theism. For me modifying Atheism with agnostic (lower case 'a'😉 does not make you an Agnostic (capital 'A'😉 that believes there is no God. If people think they believe there is no God but somehow also think it's unknown then use some other term other than agnostic, it muddies the water, creates concepts like strong/weak Atheism, hard/soft Atheism, explicit/implicit Atheism, it creates confusion and equivocation.

I don't capitalize it, but agree with you otherwise.

lol just trying to distinguish the 2 ideas.

Agnostic just means you don't claim to know. It says nothing about what you believe.

You may be confusing the etymology for Agnostic (from Ancient Greek ?- (a-), meaning "without", and ?????? (gn?sis), meaning "knowledge" )

...with it's definition; 1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god.

@MichaelBaribeau I recognize that definition, from Merriam-Webster. The Oxford English dictionary actually called it a belief.

A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God. - [en.oxforddictionaries.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5671
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.