Agnostic.com

18 3

How to find local atheists if religion is not a nice topic to raise?

Discussing the topic of religion (at work or school, etc.) is not a very acceptable behaviour. I usually wait until someone else breaks this rule, and asks me first. What do you think is an appropriate way to find like-minded individuals?

JenWinter 4 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say, "fuck that!" It's one of only a handful of topics that's actually worth having a conversation about. I bring it up often. Even with overly religious friends, acquaintances and strangers. One day I'm in Walmart and random guy #7 walks up and hands me a pamphlet for an event at his church. We stood there going back and forth in a very respectful manner, and had an hour+ long convo. Not everyone is gonna (metaphorically) spit on you for your point of view. Honestly, I've never had anyone be nasty towards me about it. More than a few haven't wanted to talk about it once they found out where I stood, and I can respect that. I don't want them trying to jam their religion down my throat, so if they don't wanna have the conversation; then I just drop it.

I agree with you, I enjoy having adult conversations about religion. I only have a problem when you want to just hang out with the person, and (in a know-it-all tone) they go "you know...the Bible says...." Or "I had this vision, and god told me...." They're not trying to have an honest conversation, they want to clear their conscience that they've proselytized enough, to one day get a kudos from their lord and master.

@JenWinter I can't shy away from it. I guess I'm a bit argumentative in that way. I'm gonna tell them they're crazy, and go into a 20 min long rant on why that's absolutely absurd. Followed by another 20 min long rant on the idiocy and fallacy that is the Christian bible. I have an innate ability to be tactful enough to where a friendship is maintained.

I have this fantasy in my mind about meeting fellow atheists/agnostics who don't bond over what we don't like. I'm not super into the whole "negativity" or "complaining" aspect of it.

I think it's a sad reality that people tend to come together on the stuff they don't like. As much as I don't like the "us" vs" them" mentality, I think it's human nature to bond in this way, and I haven't found a lot of good alternatives.

I try my best to be positive. I want to encourage, laugh, have fun, and commune over something that doesn't have to do with religion. Isn't that the point?

My suggestion is to reach out to communities with a common hobby (atheism isn't a hobby in my opinion). I think like-minded people tend to gravitate to the same interests a lot of time. That way your whole deal isn't relating over how much you disagree with whatever religion, but you can be positive together on what you like to learn about, do, whatever.

If your goal is to actually bring the topic of atheism up, then I think you might be pleasantly surprised to throw it out there when you are otherwise reticent.

forgo Level 4 Dec 25, 2017

I agree with you. It's like looking for people who Don't like coffee or Don't like chocolate (I know, wierd examples). I agree with you, being an atheist is the lack of belief. However, the problem that I sometimes have is when religion eventually takes over. I'll give you an example. I met an artist who recently moved here. We had a grand time together. I showed her the city, we went out for coffee, she showed me how to hone my skills in painting to acquire the best results, etc. It was great. Then, she brought up religion. I said I am an atheist. She asked me why, I told her my story and all the consequences (ostracized, lost friends, etc.). ...After that, she made it her mission to convert me. Even after she moved away, I met her husband by chance, and he said his "testimony" to me (the Really long story of how god made him a better man). ...I've had similar instances happen way too many times. My point is, I'm sick of having religious friends. I would love to find friends within the atheist community; because only they really actually know what it's like. (And they won't be "secretly" trying to convert you).

Here is a bit of irony, I found the best place to discuss religion, or lack, was in my Spirituality and Religion in Education class. It was designed for 'how to handle students...' who are strongly faithful when you are not, are of a belief you are not of, etc, basically how to be flexible in your thinking. Being strongly agnostic, basically atheist, I thought that I would have problems in this class and instead found it to be a wonderful place to discuss things of a religious nature (and lack). It helped me to feel comfortable talking about how I did (not) believe.

Further, some of the best conversations were with priests, pastors, rabbis, etc who were brought into the class and spoke in a very rational way about the history of their religions. It was very much NOT a class about converting anyone, in fact, it was a class of 'thou shall NOT try to convert anyone' because you can NOT do that in a school environment.

If you can find such an environment, it might be a good place to start. Failing all else, find a local university that teaches education, find the instructor that teaches the relevant class of what to, and not to, do in class related to religion and talk to said professor about programs for finding others who believe the way you do. My instructor was great to talk to and very easy to do same.

Was a wonderful experience and very mind opening.

Talking about religion is BORING

I wouldn't know. Once my co-workers found out I didn't believe in god I've been harrassed every chance they get. What makes this worse is that they connected with my family who I thought was buddist but it turns out they were only wearing the name to sneak there way into what they percieve as a cult. What hurts me most about this is that I gave them the idea when I was young and telling them my idea of life. They didn't understand my meaning they were just possessed by their own ideals. I am now completly alone and any friend I have would only want me to believe in satan so their god can exist. Along with my co-workers my family has been doing weird ground pounding every time they walk past me cause they believe in satan and want me to too. Whats worse is that there using their kids to do the same thing. I want to tell them what I think but if I convince the kids then they'll only treat them the same way. Living in america I've delt with their harrassement my whole life and it's not something I would wish on anyone.

Freethinking Atheists of Salem (Salem, OR) | Meetup
[meetup.com]
Are you too logical/rational to believe in religions, conspiracy theories, and beliefs not supported by modern science, yet miss the fellowship church-goers enjoy?

Science an philosophy usually work for me. At least you'll know thier not a total f--ktard if they can have a rational, intelligent conversation.

Thank you to everyone for making such great suggestions. I will definitely try some of the ideas. I joined Meetup a few years ago. There is one secular/humanist group that meets once a month, but I stopped going because the meetings consisted mostly of people whining about the current politics (not really any to do with atheism or humanism). Thank you to all the suggestions, though. I will definitely try those.

SImilarly, I'm getting pretty fed up with Facebook and all of the political garbage that overwhelms what I see. Coming to this site has been very refreshing.

Try asking questions that get at the topic indirectly. Questions like: "Do you think that a person's moral code should be grounded in religion?" If the person says no, you probably have at least an agnostic. Or, "Do yu go to church?"

I joined a meetup.com group for freethought community. meetup.com has groups in what appears to every major city, check it out.

That’s also what I do.

I have to admit, I haven't gone to any of the meetings, they aren't close and convenient enough for me.

I use Facebook.

Talking accomplishes amazing things. I know pretty quickly if I like a person and that makes it alright to mention it. It's a nonbelief as far as I'm concerned, so the conversation will quickly change to a more interesting topic.

@Admin says at some point that this site will have t-shirts available. Playing on what @andygee said, maybe a Darwin Fish t-shirt?

Also, I would expect a lot of science fiction fans are probably not religious. So... hit the cons in your area. And do it with that Darwin Fish t-shirt! 😛

Unfortunately for me, I don’t think there are very many atheists in my Southeast Texas area.

Check meetup.com for nearby atheist / humanist / freethinker groups. Many larger cities have several active groups on that site.

And remember, if none is available, you can start one, yourself. 🙂

Godot Level 7 Nov 28, 2017

go to the library is all i can think of. tough question. I typed in atheist in the web and got our local chapter of the humanists which turned out to be a great experience. hope it goes the same for you.

Most of the time people breach the subject with me because I was born Jewish not because I am an atheist. I keep my mouth shut at work and do not get into the conversations. I was approached by a customer a few weeks back who wanted to "testify" his beliefs to me in the store. He asked if I were religious and I told him "No, I am not" to which he confessed his love of his god. Interesting fool. Talked for almost five minutes before I was called away. And he followed me through the store until I left for my dinner break.

However, in my newspaper column, I have said I am an atheist a number of times with no consequence from my readers, even the from the Christian Conservatives who will argue anything I write, even if I happen to agree with them on an issue. (That is a rarity.)

Look in the phone book (showing my age -- sorry -- I mean Google) Humanist or Ethical and your zip code.

Or, you could walk around town any Sunday between 10:00 AM and noon and you're likely to at least narrow your search.

Put a Darwin Fish on your car.

Let me know how it works out!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5675
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.