Agnostic.com

34 1

Pet ownership. Do you ever think about how arrogant it is of us to breed and enslave another species for our own personal enjoyment? We keep them locked up, behind fences, on leashes. We dictate what they eat, where they go, with whom they interact. We strip them from their mothers and siblings as infants to be raised as our own companion and servant. I make this observation as someone who has a dog (dachshund) and whose partner has two cats.

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well I sometimes feel our species poses a threat to the planet's biome, monopolizing its resources and driving out opportunities for animals that can tolerate us. Fortunately, I'm a dog man and dog/wolves have been stalking us and ingratiating their way into our hearts for a long, long time. They only exist because there existed a niche on our periphery and which they were happy to fill. I'm pretty sure we'll over run this petri dish soon enough but I shall treasure their company until then.

Read Pat Shipman, "The Animal Connection" .

Nope. They live and serve at my own pleasure. If I and others didn’t want their companionship they would not have been born in the first place and the population of domesticated felines and canids would plummet to near zero. Their life, in its entirety, exists only because I desire to “enslave” them.

Eian
Owner of Marco, my feline friend

Eray Level 3 Apr 17, 2018

I have lived with generations of cats. My conclusion is they adopt us. If they have questions, they'll head for happier hunting grounds. Current cat, Percy, refuses step out doors.

I agree, but only for exotic animals.

I have thought about that, but, I also think that my cat and dog would not survive without me. the horses would do ok. They are gypsy cobs, so are easy keepers, can live on anything and stand extremes of weather. My other horse is a gypsy/fjord cross and is also very hardy. My cat would definitely not make it. She is a tiny, little cornish rex, and has very little hair, so would freeze to death in the cold weather. My dog is a Cane Corso, and might be ok for a while, but I don't know how she would do in a hard winter. I also feel like we have a symbiotic relationship. I give them the best food, the best vet care, love and adoration, warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and they give me love, cuddles with my cat, protection of my home from my dog, and my horses let me ride them, and can pull carts or sleighs.

I can see your point. How did we ever come up with such a strange arrangement?! But I have to say that I am glad we did, because I will take the company of my cats over most human beings any day.

You could say the same of children.

I like to think that my cats lead a better life than they would in the wild.

No, it's true. all our crops are genetically engineered to suit us and the animals we eat and the ones we race and bet on for fun. we are a self-serving destructive creature that does barely anything to help nature, in fact far from it.

for sure, we have no benefit to nature at all.

Did you ever think about how much fun dogs who roam the streets, homeless, have? You sir are a Fool!

@Jlangston70 dear, dear jlangston: responding in kind to your accusation of arrogance and slavery is IMO the Only response you deserve. You Are a Fool, and your dog would be the first to tell you so!

@Jlangston70 i have no nerves left, yhankyuvurrymuch.

@Jlangston70 right back atcha!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56758
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.