Agnostic.com

44 6

How do you get tasks accomplished?

For me, I find that if I'm having trouble focusing on a task (or even just getting started on a task) that putting on some classical music, or sometimes maybe soft rock or acoustic rock, that it helps me at least get started. Also, sometimes taking a short walk helps. What do you do?

iamjc 7 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to want to read all day, so I set a timer. I read for 45 minutes, then do a task, for example, empty the dishwasher. Then I read again, etc. It sounds silly, but if you live alone, there really is no reason to keep to a schedule. It's hard to clean your house if you know that you don't usually invite people over. This way, my house is reasonably clean, and I also get up and walk a bit instead of reading for hours.

Oh how we put off big tasks. My thing is too research my idea of what to do, buy the goods and then MAKE THE FIRST CUT. No matter the task, once you begin it is not over until I finish. In woodworking I will spend a few hundred dollars on wood and stain, I do not use plans so it is wing time. I know that once the first piece of wood is cut the project has begun

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 19, 2018

At work, I'm on auto pilot. My problem, I'm very easily distracted and multitask too much. Being present and focused comes from thinking over karma - not the prior life bullshit, but cause and effect.

jeffy Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

By not sitting at this site !

I don't! Sadly. When I was younger I would complete all tasks as quickly as possible to get them done and off my to do list. Now I just don't want to do anything that I don't want to do which means all tasks get done on a 'running out of time' basis.

I start something I really Don't want to do and then get Tons of other stuff done avoiding it!

Ask my partner to do it, it is called delegation.

These days I'm not really sure what gets me by day to day? It could be dumb luck (if such a thing exists that is)? It could be because I recently got a raise at work (nah, that didn't happen)? That much is a mystery to me. I do remember as a teenager a popular drink called Bawls Guarana used to get me past the rough days and keep me focused (how couldn't it have, it contained a mixture of sugar caffeine and guarana). These days I find myself in need of a far more potent elixir...like a nice tall glass of napalm and paint thinner, that would really hit the spot right about now. Some of the other comments on here were interesting though...

I can tackle just about any task except paperwork and red tape. I loathe it. I will put it off as long as possible. Sometimes I offer myself a reward, such as telling myself to fill out the forms and get them ready to submit, and then I can open that bottle of Reisling chilling in the fridge.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 14, 2018

Music helps me focus too - as long as it has no words or if the words are in a language I don't understand. I find words distracting.

Drink more whisky and go to bed. Next morning, hair of the dog, then you're invincible. Self expectations often lead to self-sabotage. Go easy on yourself.

2 or 3 at a time..

I reclassify them are unnecessary and cross them off the list. That seems to work.

Whatever it takes...

I make a list and try to get each task done one at a time. It is gratifying to mark each task off when I am done. I also like to listen to music while I am working, but I have to watch it if I am doing paperwork, because sometimes I get to singing and then I start typing the lyrics.

Well, I'm add/adhd/infp.... Sometimes music- usually classical (The Modau, Concierto Aranjuez, Beethoven, Grofe) but often I'll pop up a movie or tv show I'm very well acquainted with. My mind wanders very easily. If I have an "anchor" I'm familiar with, I can mentally teather myself to those mental cues and then able to focus on the task I need done. This works ofen, but mostly when I'm stressed about another issue. :-\

MikaB Level 5 Apr 13, 2018

I do one small thing at a time, take small breaks, and do in order of priority.... Most of the time. ?

Big projects I tackle until I get them done. For many small jobs I make a list.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 13, 2018

These days I find it harder to get started on my tasks. Sometimes I write down what I have to do and leave the paper where I can find it. Tonight I replaced a water faucet in a small shower stall. I'm done in about 2 hours and happy with it. Earlier I did a faucet/ shower combo in a bathtub in another room. My friend asked my why they had both went out at once. Nothing went out. They have needed replaced probably for the last 6 years. I'm just slow to get things done.

I just do it. Sometimes, i hve to wait until my grandson carries something upstairs or downstairs for me ( like the Dyson vacuum - too heavy for me) and sometimes I have to reschedule tasks, but mostly I just do it.

I just do stuff

I do stuff too but these days I'm slower at it. I've been trying to dust for a week.

I use bullet journal to keep tasks organized. Then music to get moving.
[bulletjournal.com]

I often procrastinate before starting, but once started, I focus easily. So much so that when I was focusing on something, I hardly hezd anyone talking to me.

There are so many distractions today. I find that I just have to focus and get to it. Put everything else out of my head and do it. Everything else is just a distraction for me if I try it. A lot of the time I write a list of what I have to do. It helps me.

I heave a big sigh, get off my ass, and get to whatever it is.

I procrastinate until I don't, then get at it. Mosts task I do are no where near where I can play music.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.