Agnostic.com

10 2

Been watching the Smerconish show this morning, and the survey question is whether attendees of 45's Jan. 6th rally should be subject to "consequences", even if they did NOT storm the Capitol?

Evidently, a veteran teacher attended the rally, but not the Capitol insurrection, and has been suspended (with pay), pending the outcome of an investigation into his actions.

I find this to be unacceptable.
The guy didn't break any laws.
He is not being investigated by law enforcement.
Yet, his school board saw fit to suspend him.
We're supposed to be a "free-country".

This is also another reason I have for being adamantly opposed to "At Will" employment.

Thoughts from the community?

KKGator 9 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The person attended a not a "Political Rally" but rather a Rally with the sole intent of "subverting the legal democratic process". Granted this individual may not have been "inside" the Capitol BUT...they "MAY" have played an active part in "helping push" the crowd FORWARD...notice I said "MAY" have played an active part...that in my opinion would be the thin line that may or may not have been crossed. It was WELL KNOWN beforehand what the rally was intended to affect and Trump stated "it's gonna be WILD"...he made sure of that...this person I suspect was helping pressure the crowds at the very least OR...They were just there to observe and witness...that seems to be what the investigation will be all about answering. Freedom of speech is NOT the same as SEDITION...question is how involved was the person and can it be verified...if it can't then there is a strong chance of a lawsuit. If participation CAN be proven then I think discharge from employment is a strong possibility...a teacher with THAT much distortion of reality is a danger to the students...JMHO...Namaste

I appreciate everyone's input.
There are definitely multiple ways of looking at the issue.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the conversation civil.

It's troubling, but I will say that my state employer might do the same, at least until it was clear that all I had done was attend the rally. "Conduct Unbecoming" is a disciplinary charge, and actions during the rally might still count. Inciting insurrection, after all, is what Trump was impeached for.

Public actions do reflect on a public employer. Teachers, officers, public employees of any kind are expected to uphold a standard of behavior, including not advocating illegal acts. For instance, I'm not supposed to run a "decriminalize marijuana" campaign in my spare time- at least not openly.

"suspended (with pay), pending the outcome of an investigation into his actions."
is the important part, there is no presumption of guilt here, simply a precautionary measure.

If a teacher is accused of murdering children, because a photo emerged of him with other known child murderers, and the school board did NOT suspend him until such times as investigations are completed, would you be happy sending your child to that school?

If someone attends a rally and isn’t part of a group that does illegal activity, I think it’s a slippery slope to hold them accountable for others’ actions.

In the same way, anyone attending what they assume will be a peaceful protest will be held liable if a few individuals decide to break the law. That’s dangerous precedent to set.

Exactly.

So the guy attended the rally. What does that mean?
Did he intend to subvert the electoral college certification?
How far did this teacher travel to attend the rally? Did the teacher speak at the rally?
Are there any other factors in the teacher's situation? Was he exceptionally conservative in what he taught?

Trump by that point had had his day(s) in court and had failed strongly.
The 'vote' by custom by then was pretty much a formality.
If I understand the process correctly, congress critters could protest the vote (which they did) but especially with the Democratically controlled House the certification was very likely to pass (which it did).

Assuming one attends a protest of something because one believes that something is wrong makes being there an attempt to subvert the electoral college certification. That's free speech. Ignorant speech but free. Not breaking and entering is a peaceful protest so he's not a criminal. Merely a minor accessory to those who were.

@rainmanjr That's also an angle -- free speech. Especially if he's a teacher in a public school. I don't know the rules for a charter -- are they a private company or do they need to follow public school rules.

It says he attended the rally but not the insurrection. Again, I wish there was a little more detail.

@RichCC Fuck the public school rules. Constitutional rights take precedence.

@rainmanjr The Constitution -- including the Bill of Rights -- applies to the Government. It only takes precedence when Government agencies are involved.

Added: That's why I mentioned public vs. charter schools.

Ironic to hear so many self-described “liberals” calling for such consequences, even when inflicted by the bosses and corporate entities. I remember when the shoe was on the other foot and you could be fired for protesting U.S. involvement in Vietnam or calling for President Nixon’s impeachment. Should one lose one’s right to work if an employer disagrees with participation in a BLM rally? School boards may be public entities, but they are infamous for overreacting to popular prejudices, often targeting LGBTQ folks and ... atheists.

That's pretty much my point.

As far as this particular example goes, he's not being investigated by law enforcement, only his school board.
He was not arrested for anything, and he hasn't been accused of committing any crimes. He has photographic evidence that he was at least one mile away at the time of the insurrection.

His classroom performance had not been called into question prior to this either.
He was just suspended for his attendance at the Jan. 6th rally.

This sounds like overreach to me.

The pendulum is swinging far too far, in both directions.

@KKGator This is really sad. Seeing more that he was a mile away, I don’t think the school board is justified at all. He may be an idiot and perhaps a QAnon supporter, but it doesn’t sound like that impacted his ability to be a good teacher.

If an investigation is underway, it's too early to say he didn't break any laws. Likewise, everybody there is being investigated by law enforcement though he isn't a named suspect. What matters is the facts, he shouldn't be persecuted if the school board is acting purely from political motives, nor should he be excused.

At this point, it's my understanding that he is not being investigated by LE, only the school board.
He has not been charged with anything.
Nor is he alleged to have committed any crimes.

It does come across as unwarranted persecution.

@KKGator Investigation is a process, by the time someone is named a suspect the preliminary investigation is well underway and law enforcement should not be revealing information about him. Persecution is punishing someone before you have evidence. He is being paid and his identity is withheld. so unless this is capricious I don't think it qualifies.

@Buttercup His name is Jason Moorehead. He's a middle school teacher from Pennsylvania.
His identity has not been withheld.

@KKGator He came forward, his choice, not the board

He may not have broken laws, but did he advocate breaking laws. He's a teacher, what is he teaching those children? I think investigation is prudent.

I asked for thoughts on the matter.
I always respect yours.

I'm just wondering if the investigation turns up no evidence of wrongdoing, will he face any other kinds of retribution?

Fuck him.

"Fuck him", who?
The teacher, or Smerconish??

@KKGator Love Mike Smerconish, he's a Philly guy. Tough shit for that teacher. If he had attended a KKK rally it would be the same thing.

@barjoe Fair enough.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:571343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.