Agnostic.com

7 10

LINK Women’s Rights Campaigners Resist “Marry-Your-Rapist” Bill in Turkey | Val Wilde | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

As January draws to a close, politicians and women’s groups are launching an opposition against a slated to be introduced the ironically-named ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) at the end of the month: a that would let men accused of raping young girls evade punishment for their crimes marrying their victims.

Dr. Adem Sözüer, head of Istanbul University’s criminal law department, cautions that the new is likely to increase rates of violent against women and girls — even those not pushed into marriage sexual assault — because of the way it characterizes women’s value:

(My first thought was that if a girl rejects a marriagte proposal the man just has to rape her to get his way)

snytiger6 9 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Erdogan has taken Turkey way backwards. I felt years ago that Turkey should have been left into the EU, and, I believe, was left out because of prejudices. That said, to maintain membership this would not be allowed and they would have no death penalty.

How does that work when the woman is already married?

The husband probably has the right to kill the rapist, then get as divorce and keep the kids.

@Beowulfsfriend I think it is mor elike he kills the rapist and then kills the wife for getting raped.

Certainly easier and cheaper than courting.....

Seems like it will take devastating war to change these abhorrent practices....

This is religious insanity. Turkey is going backward in time at an alarming rate. They need a new Ataturk to modernize the Turkish state.

Insane proposal

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 24, 2021

Cavemen! What’s next? You want to marry a woman you club her over the head and drag her back to your hut and rape her? It seems we are in a worldwide period of going backwards socially.

That’s for sure.

It is still done in the US.

Just enforced by the girl's parents.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:571624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.