Agnostic.com

3 10

LINK The Massive Genome of The Lungfish May Explain How We Made The Leap to Land

"... Within the Australian lungfish's giant haystack of genes are clues to how animals made the transition from aquatic to terrestrial. [This] required a number of evolutionary innovations including airbreathing, limbs, posture, prevention of desiccation, nitrogen excretion, reproduction, and olfaction ... [Researchers] identified the same genes responsible for our embryonic lung development already present in the lungfish, as are our familiar ulna and radius arm bones, and the genes that encode them."

How does genome expansion, through copies, become an important driving force of evolution, AND help provide organisms with the ability to rapidly adapt to a changing environment?

AnonySchmoose 8 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just wow

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 24, 2021

And our shared ancestry goes deeper..

the lure of tasty cheeseburgers was key to that development I'm thinking.

I am sure that is the development of corporatism.

@Castlepaloma I'm sure cheeseburgers have plenty of roles to play in this unfolding universe.

Cheese Burger in paradise

@Castlepaloma at least a nice park.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:571682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.