Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Christian Website: The Bible Says an Asteroid Will Crash Into Earth in 2029 | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

In case you need something else to worry about, Christian writer Thomas Horn would like you to know that an asteroid is going to crash into the Earth in 2029, and the Bible proves it. He found an outlet for his bananas theory on — where else? — Charisma.

snytiger6 9 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is that prophecy anything like the one my Evangeloonytune neighbour has issued, i.e. Jeebus Chrust has MADE him his NEW Prophet and IS returning on the 29th. of next month THIS year?
Less than a month to see if Evangelooytune is right and a little less than 8 years to see IF the Buybull is right, Even money bets are they are BOTH 200+% WRONG again as per usual.

Really! Nasa should be able to tell better than the Bible.

The number of religious predictions of doom made over the many centuries is huge. Yet, here we are.

Like, NO. Apophis at first was a good possibility for an impact. but further refinement of it's orbit says it will miss up by 23,400 miles. THAT's close but still a miss.

Asteroid 99942 Apophis is a near-Earth asteroid more than 1000 feet (over 300 meters) in size that will harmlessly pass close to Earth on April 13, 2029. When it was discovered in 2004, the asteroid caused a stir because initial calculations indicated a small possibility it would impact Earth in 2029.

After searching through some older astronomical images, scientists ruled out the possibility of a 2029 impact. It’s now predicted the asteroid will safely pass about 19,800 miles (31,900 kilometers) from our planet’s surface. While that’s a safe distance, it’s close enough that the asteroid will come between Earth and our Moon, which is about 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers) away. It’s also within the distance that some spacecraft orbit Earth.

It’s rare for an asteroid of this size to pass so close to Earth, although smaller asteroids, in the range of 16 to 33 feet (5 to 10 meters), in size have been observed passing by at similar distances.

“The Apophis close approach in 2029 will be an incredible opportunity for science,” said Marina Brozović, a radar scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who works on radar observations of near-Earth objects (NEOs). “We’ll observe the asteroid with both optical and radar telescopes. With radar observations, we might be able to see surface details that are only a few meters in size.”

During its 2029 flyby, Apophis will first become visible to the naked eye in the night sky over the southern hemisphere and will look like a speck of light moving from east to west over Australia. It will be mid-morning on the U.S. East Coast when Apophis is above Australia.

Apophis will then cross above the Indian Ocean, and continuing west, it will cross the equator over Africa.

At its closest approach to Earth, just before 6 p.m. EDT, April 13, 2029, Apophis will be over the Atlantic Ocean. It will move so fast that it will cross the Atlantic in just an hour. By 7 p.m. EDT, the asteroid will have crossed over the United States.

As it passes by Earth, it will get brighter and faster. At one point it will appear to travel more than the width of the full Moon within a minute and it will get as bright as the stars in the Little Dipper.

I can't wait, should be a fantastic sight.

Apophis is named for the demon serpent who personified evil and chaos in ancient Egyptian mythology.

As far as the bible predicting this, well, I can prove from the bible that i don't believe a damn thing in that book.

I hope to be alive to see that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:572116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.