Agnostic.com

2 2

“The Long Song,” PBS has a new video and it is a kick in the pants. It is a perfect series for the BLM movement but does not take place in the US and can be hard to watch. This series especially hit home to me as when in Seattle we became great friends with a Jamaican woman, Claudia, and her daughter who lived in our neighborhood. Claudia was from Kingston and we learned a lot about that country. She invited my late partner to go to Jamaica to celebrate ‘Carnival’ but it never happened. Claudia also made amazing rum cakes and sold them in a local chain store, QFC. Another interesting item was the term ‘pinkney.’ My aunt, who was a second mother to me had a nickname Pinkey but she spelled it Pinkney. Now I see it being used in this film as a reference to the slave’s children. Patois: Whoofa pickney dat?
English: Whose kid is that? English Translation child or children Makes me curious why my aunt had that nickname.
[pbs.org]

JackPedigo 9 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Could be but as I have subtitles it was clearly pickney. Perhaps a regional dialect but it was recognized in the version I looked up. Still the first episode was a real eye opener.

Perhaps it's a different form of the word pickaninny. I remember hearing the term Pickaninny as a child, but never new what it was. A quick google search took me here.

[duckduckgo.com]

A friend just sent me the same word, pickaninny and I remember it as well. This is the one we are most familiar but it still doesn't apply everywhere.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:573645
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.