Agnostic.com

1 3

I was raised on what my Dad called a farm.
It was really just a place to raise about 1,000 different breeds of chickens, ducks, geese, goats, pigs, cattle, thousands of rabbits and a dozen or so varieties of game birds.
To me it was a blood and shit festival, and I had to participate in butchering from day one.
Not to mention scooping poop, every miserable day after school.
Did I mention the dogs, chained to trees, or the fighting cocks that lost my dad more money than Gamestock, or the cats?
Anyway it's no wonder I have no interest in ever owning pets, EVER!

Then I saw these beauties, and I'd love to have a garden with a dozen or so of these birds.
Not for eating, but they are actually chickens, and they lay eggs, so there's some utility there. but they're so beautiful. I didn't know such chickens existed.

Let me introduce, the "Golden Pheasant" which funny enough isn't a pheasant.

Willow_Wisp 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a beautiful bird! Are you serious about this being a type of chicken?

Yes, I knew of Japanese long tailed chickens but not these.
We had silkie chickens, fuzzy cute, white feathers deep purple skin, lots of deep purple tissues on bone and muscles.
When silkie is fried it looks nasty, but it taste like any other chicken.

The Japanese Onagadori is the rarest chicken, and I'm not impressed by their asthetic, but the Japanese are. It's easier to get a real Hanzō Katana then this poultry.

@Willow_Wisp I agree that silkie meat looks nasty! Maybe breading would help?

That Japanese chicken...well, good for the Japanese, if they like that sort of thing, I guess...

We raised chickens, too, when I was a kid, but my experience was pretty much the opposite of yours - free-roaming, well-fed birds, kept only for eggs and the fun of having them around. Hence, I'm still quite fond of chickens, and keep a tiny flock in my backyard (three chickens and two ducks).

@AmyTheBruce I've had cats, and owls, and I befriend crows and they become family. It's just harder to do now that I don't have a place of my own. But the crows are still around, they were always wild. The owls from my collage days in Alabama after the Navy, long since rehabilitated and set free. It took 2 years, and I did it twice.

@AmyTheBruce I was young back then, so I had no say in food preparation at my house. My dad liked to cut it up as an ingredient in other dishes. Silkie meat in soup has negative eye appeal.

@Willow_Wisp I would LOVE to befriend some crows! This is not purely for friendship's sake (though I do appreciate their intelligence). I have seen how good they are at keeping hawks away. And I would like to keep hawks away.

But I don't see many crows hanging around. I don't suppose you have any suggestions for how I might attract them?

@AmyTheBruce They like peanuts, unsalted of course. Better they LOVE meal worms. I find peanuts more accessible. Then you need to make contact. Talk to them, so they don't get the impression you're sneaking up, start with a caw of your own, this gets their attention so you may approach. You'll never get close until they're ready, start tossing peanuts toward them. It may take a while, I did it out my car window last time, but they're still suspicious. Be consistent with time and peanuts. More and more crows will show up, soon you'll have a murder of crows. They'll get closer and closer. It's good to worry about them becoming to trustful of people, but they recognize people and will not come to any but the most loyal allies.
Then one day you might be the crazy lady in black surrounded by crows and ravens in a parking lot, at least until a curious person drives up to see how you're doing it and all your true friends fly away to avoid them.

@AmyTheBruce I have been trying to familiarize myself with crows at work. They come around and talk, if one has unsalted nuts, they will come and get them. No sudden moves, talk to them. They come and go but when they are around I always talk to them and when I can I bring them nuts and bird food. They will recognize a person and if they are mistreated will stay away when the person is about.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.