Agnostic.com

1 1

This is not even a private prison. The Florida Dept. of Corrections runs the Wakulla Correctional Institute, "a faith and character based facility". Someone should take this on.

[dc.state.fl.us]

LovinLarge 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wrote the following to the Freedom From Religion Foundation just now:

I just became aware of the existence of the Wakulla Correctional Institution in Crawfordville, FL. [dc.state.fl.us] This is operated by the FL Dedpartment of Corrections at public expense, but bills itself on the sign outside as "A Faith and Character Based Facility- We Never Walk Alone". The website lists 10 academic and vocational programs, but over 55 chaplaincy services and "Institutional Betterment Programs", among the latter are "Houses of Healing", Faith and Character Core Courses", "Quest Program", and "Dr. John Maxwell Leadership Course". (John Maxwell is, of course, the well-known pastor and author.)
It is my opinion that operating a religious study program under the aegis of a Department of Corrections is not only a misuse of taxpayer funds, but also an unproven approach to rehabilitation. As a 21-year veteran in corrections, I can say that religious programs do no proven good, and may even harm the process.
I feel this is something your foundation should look into. Thank you.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The only program they list that I've ever heard of is "Thinking 4 A Change", and I wonder if it has anything in common with our state's program apart from the name!

Thank you very much for doing that, Paul. It's very possibly a First Amendment violation and I was shocked and dismayed when I stumbled upon it.
My primary concern is that an institution like this will promote religiosity as a condition of parole.

@LovinLarge I agree that's something to be concerned about too. My other thought (which their form didn't give me room for) is that religious conversions tend, in my opinion and experience, to harm rehabilitation because they can discourage taking responsibility. After all, if "God" has forgiven you, there's no reason to devote effort to becoming a better person, no reason to change, "God" accepts you as you are.

Like anything, this varies, but some "saved" prisoners have been absolutely the angriest, most self-righteous, most violent people I've ever met, and they resent any authority because, in the words of the tattoo, "Only God Can Judge Me". Whereas secularists tend to recognize secular authority even if they don't like it, don't accept supernatural "forgiveness" as a substitute for making amends and restitution to their victims, and I lost my train of thought there. There was another thing but it's gone.

Secular people admit their failings more easily, like that. We're humble.

@Paul4747 Very much respect and appreciate your input on this issue. I feel really good about someone with your tremendous sense of justice being a correctional officer.

@LovinLarge I'm humbled by your appreciation. If only my higher ups saw it the same way!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574650
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.