Agnostic.com

3 15

When a teenager shows initiative.

Today Dennise, the girl I'm mentoring, surprised me. In the past week, she completed 15 scholarship applications on her own. Wonderful! Making progress.

So far, Dennise has applied for 25 scholarships and four universities. She has been accepted at three universities.

Her top choice is University of Washington, the last college in Washington State to mail out acceptance letters. In May. Her second choice is Washington State University where she has been accepted.

As a child of Mexican immigrants, Dennise will be the first person in her family to graduate from high school and college.

With a 4.0 grade point average, Dennise plays first-chair voila in two orchestras. As a Freshman, she began learning percussion. She plays marimba, snare drums and hand percussion in Jazz Band, too. Dennise works part-time in a music store. She enjoys teaching customers to fix their own instruments.

In college, Dennise plans to major in applied math. Her goal is to become a certified public accountant, helping businesses succeed. Dennise hopes to help her parents purchase their first house.

Since 2006 as a volunteer, I have been helping first generation students (children of immigrants) write essays for college and scholarship applications. One of my best success stories is Brenda, who won $269,445 in scholarships in 2016.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everyone loves a Rock star. Well done Both of you

Awesome

I knew you were a rock star. It’s good to see you’re officially recognized. With her skills I feel she should get it most of those schools. You’ve done a great job and so has she.

@BudFrank

Thank you so much! I appreciate you.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:574711
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.