Agnostic.com

3 3

Seeing lots of posts about the dairy industry today and remembering things I learned about the dairy lobby and how big dsiry has pushed the narrative of being healthy when its not exc.. including in our schools.

There is one aspect I only recently learned and wondered why its its not a part of the conversation.

People of color have MUCH higher rates of lactose intolerance. Like 90% in people with African decent.. and for people with European ancestry its less than 20%.
Many people don't even know they have it. Just lots of stomach problems like cramping and diarrhea..
I learned this a a white person after raising my 2 latina kids to teenagers with stomach problems all the way and never knowing. Not bad problems but talked to doctors about it along the way and it was never suggested. It turns out that dairy pills help and not drinking milk.

This is the thing. What about school lunch where every kid gets milk ( and no water) to drink and the teachers bully them to finish it and we tell all the kids to drink the milk!!! At our school even kids who don't get free lunch get free milk..

All these decades have we unintentionally been forcing 90% of the children of color to have cramping and diarrhea every day at school because of our national obsession with milk?

And with our national obsession with not letting kids go to the bathroom to much and shaming them or telling them its irresponsible and or disrespectful to do so except for certain times?

That bathroom part was a big thing at my kids school. My shy one in elementary kept peeing herself on the bus cuz she was scared to go. Then in middle snd HS they had "employability points" that they would take away if they went during class.

Anyway back to the race aspect.. thats real messed up if we made all the brown kids have hurting tummies all these years. Its no small thing to be stuck sitting in a chair PaYiNg AteNtIoN and BeHaViNg!!! if you have cramping and diarrhea.

MsAl 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Leahy is senile and pretends he can legally replace Chief Justice Roberts in the so called CONSTITUTIONAL job of impeachment trial of a private citizen not in the White House....bad milk bad Senate

Senior Senator Patrick Leahy has been writing the farm bill school lunch bill food stamp bill WIC bill with powdered canned and quart boxes unrefrigerated milk since his days fighting

ReaGUN declaring catsup a vegetable to save schools throwing away beets corn beans or other veggies served with pasteurized Vermont milk cheese and Spaghetti sauces....USA has been forcing milk on the world since Teddy Roosevelt

It sounds like every cafeteria should start providing lactose-free milk as an option. I am lactose intolerant as are my children.It seems to be hereditary. Many of my older aunts have done all kinds of ancestors.com research and black and brown ancestors were not recorded but there may have been a lusty lady in my background that played on the side.

Lactose intolerance is not just found in people of African decent, in fact tolerance is not the norm.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:575576
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.