Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK A bit of hypocrisy by Matt Dillahunty?

I'm confused with his argument defending the constitution in this video. Why isn't the Constitution an immoral document because it codifies the "Great Compromise" of making people in bondage, (which were obviously those of African descent) as 3/5ths of a citizen for all legal purposes. If the bible is immoral because it gives rules for how to own slaves, why isn't the US Constitution immoral for explaining to the government in how to utilize slaves as political tools?

redbai 8 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There were already abolitionists writing and speaking out against slavery during the 18th century, though they were a minority. The most strident opponents of slavery viewed this 'institution' as a sin against God and man, and tended to be Quakers. But these views were clearly not respected by slaveholders who used their Bibles to justify the practice. Thus the Constitution reflects the compromises that were made in order to form the new Republic.

Was it immoral? From the standpoint of many at the time, including the enslaved, it was! Has it been changed to address this shortcoming? Yes, and I would argue that the 14th Amendment (Equal Protection) was just as important as the 13th, as it has frequently been used by the courts to broaden civil rights and freedoms. The Bible, on the other hand, was never changed by a jot or a tittle to account for its immoralities, even when afforded the chance, via a new religion, to do so.

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ." Ephesians 6:5
"Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh." 1 Peter 2:18
"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them," Titus 2:9
"All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered." 1 Timothy 6:1

Has the constitution been changed so that the 3/5ths is no longer there? If not, how is that different than the bible not changing it?

@redbai I would be satisfied with an amendment. Something simple, like Article 1 of 21st Amendment to the Constitution, repealing Prohibition: "The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed."

One can't change the past or erase history, but how much better might the world be if somewhere in the Bible, even in that bizarre book called Revelations, the author banned the practice of enslaving others, along with condeming the vast number of moral outrages either supported or ordered throughout the pages of that wretched book?!

@p-nullifidian There's also that bit in the 13th Amendment which allows the enslavement of those who are being punished for a crime, which is no more than defining the conditions in which a slave can be created in America.

@redbai Good point, although if we go there and say that the State has no right to force anyone to work as a slave, even when imprisoned, then we must first address the elephant in the room: depriving a prisoner of their life!

@p-nullifidian @redbai ...Or doing away with imprisonment for the dangerous to society?!?!?!

@p-nullifidian Not sure how it's an elephant in the room. Not even sure how it relates to the subject unless you're assuming that imprisonment is taking someone's life.

@redbai What is it that you propose for doing with those who are clearly a danger to society?

@Rossy92 Imprisonment and treatment/education.

@redbai That's reasonable. I wasn't sure if you were equating imprisonment with slavery.

@Rossy92 And I was just trying to say that slavery during imprisonment, as imposed by the state, is not a greater moral issue than capital punishment.

@p-nullifidian Comparing slavery to death is like comparing cancer to death, neither is preferred so the comparison is false. A person can be imprisoned and not enslaved, an option missing from your choices.

@redbai Not my choices. The discussion has drifted. A concern was raised regarding the 'loop hole' in the Constitution for slavery while imprisoned. I inferred that executions might occupy a higher priority than forced labor in prisons. If we are now asked to look at incarceration in general, a new can of worms must be opened.

First, how can one have the same expectation of moral perfection of humans vs. an alleged all-powerful, all-knowing, all-benevolent, God? Second, he openly admits to it being a flawed document? Third, one has to consider the totality of its content, and you seem to be overgeneralizing.

I as an atheist can have the same expectation because I don't believe in an "alleged all-powerful, all-knowing, all-benevolent, God" and so can assume that the document was created by men, just like the Constitution was. Thus since both were created by men, why can't they both be judged by the same moral standards?

He also openly claims the bible to be a flawed document, so what's the difference?

Claiming I am overgeneralizing is not the same as demonstrating it. There are people who make the same claims about the comments in the bible while pointing out all the "good" it has in it.

"First, how can one have the same expectation of moral perfection of humans vs. an alleged all-powerful, all-knowing, all-benevolent, God?"

At least two facets of this God are established from his so-called 'inspired' word: 1) that he lacks the "Four Omni's" (omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent & omnibenevolent) his supporters still attribute to him; and 2) that he is one of the most immoral creatures ever created by man.

@p-nullifidian I'm unclear about exactly what you're trying to say, but I think you are basically agreeing with me? Just as a side note though, for at least a year now I've wondered where those "omni's" originate. Are they explictly or implicitly in the Bible? And exactly where?

@p-nullifidian, @redbai Given the first two paragraphs of your response, where is Matt's inconsistency? And of course the Bible was written by man. Even believers would acknowledge that. But one of the main reasons I am an Atheist and disbelieve the Bible's supposed inspiration is BECAUSE of it's obviously flawed nature.

And I'm not interested in in writing a thesis paper arguing which of the two documents is more immoral. Are you arguing that they are equally immoral? And is your view as black & white that the partial taint of immorality merits blanket labeling of the document as immoral? Or do you recognize levels of degree? I'm simply asking for the sake of clarity. It's not something I wish to argue as it seems at matter of personal taste, though to view it in such a binary fashion would strike me as a bit extreme and unreasonable, personally.

@Rossy92 I recognize levels of degree, certainly. The Constitution, however, has been amended, and is open to such, unlike the Bible. Despite the Constitution's flaws, its trajectory over time has, on the whole, been one of broadening the rights of the people, as the 13th, 14th, 19th and 26th Amendments attest. The Constitution, as both document and process, is morally superior to the Bible, IMO.

@Rossy92 Who asked for a thesis? If you're asking if I'm arguing that the constitution and the bible are equally immoral, I can't say as I haven't considered it past the slavery issue. I do know on that issue alone, they both assume the immorality of slavery to be part of a social norm.

In response to whether or not a document is immoral just because some parts of it define immoral actions as acceptable, in the context of slavery, yes. I also do not recognize a spectrum defining slavery in which some manifestation of it becomes moral. The idea that you seem to be implying such, yeah, I would avoid attempting to defend that too.

@redbai My thesis remark was simply figurative speak about what would be the laborious task of demonstrating your what I considered to be an obvious over-generalization about the Constitution vs the Bible. If you wish to characterize it in that manner, fine. I'll leave it to others with more time and patience to battle you on that issue. But you still have not answered my first question, and the main thing which attracted me to this post: Matt's supposed hypocrisy? (You: "He also openly claims the bible to be a flawed document, so what's the difference?" )

@Rossy92 The hypocrisy is believing the Constitution is a document of social value and the bible is not given that they both have the same moral flaw wrt slavery.

@redbai Given that there is little to no mention of the Bible in the clip, I take it you have come to your assumption about Matt's view of the Bible elsewhere. However, from the nearly 10 years that I've been acquainted with Matt's commentary, I don't think he would assert that the Bible has had no social value. Anyway, I feel that @p-nullifidian has effectively laid out a preliminary explanation of why the Constitution is of greater value given that it is amendable. And to go further and demonstrate the greater quantity of flaws with the Bible as compared to the Constitution is too remedial a task for my tastes. I find your post to be a muddle of false equivalencies, over-generalization/overstatement, and unsupported assertion.

@Rossy92 Okay, so you're just pompous enough to critique my opinion but apparently not bright enough to actually articulate why you perspective has any merit. Understood.

Firstly people in bondage were considered three fifths of a person, not two thirds of a citizen.
Secondly your contention is a false equivalence because:-
A) The constitution unlike scripture can be and has been amended
B) Article 1. Section 2 regarding slaves is completely moot since slavery is no longer legal and has not been since the US constitution since the actioning of the article of emancipation proclamation 1865. See point A)

I stand corrected on the fraction. Thanks for the correction, I have corrected the text.

The fact that it "can be" but "hasn't" been changed means that it still has that in it. For the record, scriptor HAS been changed. Look it up.

Check the 13th Amendment. There is a loophole for slavery, it facilitated Jim Crow laws and chain gangs in the south for generations..

First, Matt is illogical atheist.

Second, the U.S. constitution is immoral by being a document of the European invadors raping this land from the original indigenous inhabitants.

Religious mandate is about income tax and identification for "buying and selling". Why does "American" laws violate constitutional amendment that religious governments mandate will not be established? This is no theory. Direct observation of written text written in black and white.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, ....
Why is there income tax laws? Why is there identification laws? These are religious mandates for religious purposes
Where do you see any theory? Can you not see simply black and white?
Religion is income tax and identification for taxation capitalism slavery government control. Why is YOUR U.S. constitution being violated?

Government officials: require payment by force of law, tax. Using war of killing men in battles to establish their laws of taxation. [Civil war income tax by Lincoln]. They make and put in writing these laws to establish and support their established guaranteed income, health care, retirement, housing and wealth for governmental officials. [Research what Federal elected officials are not millionaires]. Capitalism slavery. Rape the original indigenous inhabitants of their land call it America, call the Mexican, Indian and native Americans. More children can be trained to speak and act abused to allow governmental terrorist to wrongfully prosecute innocent people. "My Teacher made me touch her p.p ". No justice for the innocent.

Word Level 8 Feb 12, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:575934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.