Agnostic.com

3 14

The one thing impeachment accomplished.

"Whatever else it may have accomplished, the impeachment trial surely burned the memory of the Capitol riot into American history forever. House impeachment managers wove together horrifying videos, some seen publicly for the first time—along with Trump's speeches and tweets around the election and its aftermath—to present a timeline of a president who pushed a big lie that the election was rigged, helped assemble and ignite an angry crowd and sent it toward the Capitol, just as Congress was doing its constitutional duty."

Even though he was acquitted, "this was far from a triumph for Trump," David Axelrod wrote. "Though he avoided sanction, the trial imposed a more enduring penalty on him by laying bare for the world and history his craven role in orchestrating the seditious mayhem at the Capitol."

"On Friday, senators recognized Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman's courage and gave him a standing ovation for risking his own life to save theirs on January 6," she noted. "A day later, when it came time for the senators themselves to show courage, however, they folded."

The House managers' case added much to what we knew of the riot, wrote SE Cupp. "From the bloodcurdling calls from Capitol police, begging for backup as an angry, violent mob breached the Capitol, to the stunning footage of Officer Eugene Goodman diverting Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah away from an imminent threat of danger, to video of Vice President Mike Pence being hurriedly evacuated, and affidavits revealing rioters 'would have killed Mike Pence if given the chance,' it is all unspeakably awful and somehow even worse than we knew."

[cnn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Although this "helps" our cause against Trump I believe we are in for a long hard battle as he knows how to gather bodies for his campaigns...he may have lost SOME of his Base but the fact that so many of the GOP voted to NOT convict him is going to work against us...he is going to play this to the hilt...he OWNS the GOP at this point in time...smfh

It brought to light the horror of that day and what Trump did

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 15, 2021

I predict that history will not be kind to the Republican senators and their cowardice shown in the vote to acquit Trump. I also predict that the Party will regret a missed opportunity to distance themselves from Trump and show a clear boundary between behaviour they find acceptable and unacceptable in a President. They have displayed a complete deficit of moral leadership and have shown that they have no such boundaries and care less about the US Constitution than keeping their Trump following supporters onside.

I hope you're right.

@HippieChick58 Time will tell whether or not I’m right. A complete break with Trump would have given them a chance to backtrack on some of the craziness associated with the Trump cult which will be the hallmark of the Republican Party now for the foreseeable future.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:576478
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.