Agnostic.com

10 1

Anyone interested in receiving a copy?

Abstract
Are negative experiences in childhood factors for why people are atheists?
This paper notes the significant correlations between divorce, paternal abandonment, maternal abandonment, paternal death and maternal death when one is a minor and the likelihood one is an atheist or non-atheist as an adult. The results of the 2021 Childhood Experience and Religious Affiliation survey, were analyzed within gender, citizenship, generational, educational and raised-affiliation groupings. The death of one’s father or mother was found to most notably correlate with atheism in adults.

Ian_Newton 5 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I identify with the death of father and mother. Both of mine are dead and I became atheist before they died. Logic, reasoning, and too much bible study helped a lot to form my opinion.

I realized religion in all forms was bullshit that was why i became a non believer.

Hogwash! Most atheists simply come to grips with reality through maturation, and , gaining of knowledge.

I my opinion that conclusion is little more than a heavy weighted biased conclusion arrived upon by those who have absolutely NO knowledge, comprehension or understanding what an Atheist or Atheism really is and means.
For example, BOTH my parent died when I was an Adult HOWEVER I was an Atheist from around the age of 8-9 years old.
My ' mother ' was a Christian of Convenience, i.e. a Christian WHEN and IF it suited her and her social needs, etc.
My Father was always an Atheist no matter what the situation, social or not, was.
IF, and imo that is a HUGE IF btw, the authors of that 100% erroneous conclusion had actually bothered to do their research properly rather than, imo, relying upon their own religiously based ideologies then they would have definitely that the FACTS are vastly different to their fictional conclusions.

You literally haven't even read the study or seen the data tables,
sure you're not the one pre-supposed to being biased here?

@Ian_Newton Friend I've been an Atheist for almost all my 67 years of life, a Psychologist for well over 25 years, a Child and Youth Counsellor for 25+ years, have 2 PhD's, 1 ThD and 5 Bachelors Degrees and working on my 6th and 7th now.
I also have 3 Certificates in Nursing, a current Certificate in First Aid and First Response Trauma response which puts me about 1-2 degrees BELOW the level of being a Paramedic.
Being biased against anything except religion/s IS my ONLY bias FYI.
And, may one asks WHAT tables, evidences, etc, were actual displayed/shown for anyone to actually peruse?

@Triphid Sigh I literally asked
"Anyone interested in receiving a copy?"
At the very beginning of the post.

If you had wanted to see the data tables, instead of deciding to issue a criticism
based on an abstract, you could have made a request.

@Ian_Newton Then , that being the case, WHY not simply supply for the onset?

@Triphid It's a PDF.
It's 34 pages long.
This is a forum site.

@Ian_Newton So WHY not merely extract the pertinent details, etc, and publish those instead?

@Triphid Sic 'em, Triphid!

Correlation, NOT causation (last sentence). The Scientific Method therefore says it is unproven. One doesn't need to come from a broken home or lose a parent to be an atheist, I find that premise to be a tad insulting.

MizJ Level 8 Feb 25, 2021

Let's be real: It's not like atheists don't insult Theists like every day online.
Secondly, I never, ever claimed that all or even most atheists come from a broken
home or lost a parent.

"The death of one’s father or mother was found to most notably correlate with atheism in adults."
Is not the same as claiming 75% of atheists lost their fathers before identifying as an atheist.

@Ian_Newton FYI, WE give back just exactly what we and those before us have already received.

@Ian_Newton I merely pointed out something in your post. I didn't insult you.

Trying to tie atheism to unfortunate events, are ya? How about if the dead parent was a vicious abuser, would that make you more likely to praise gawd?

I think it is perfectly normal to grow up in a positive environment and be a atheist.

I by no means deny the claim that both
atheists and non-atheists tended to group in environments
where divorce, abandonment or death of a parent
did not occur before they turned 18.

That's also not my claim.

@Ian_Newton Then, my Good Sir, since YOU have made the 'Claim' the onus of Proving said 'Claim' falls squarely upon YOUR shoulders and no-one else's.

@Triphid Bucko, this is ridiculous of you.
Of course the claim is based on data; the abstract was posted
not the paper.

@Ian_Newton Sir, Data can be either posted in a Biased manner or as Hypothetical manner FYI.
In my opinion, what you are attempting to 'claim' as being seeming Unbiased Data may quite well be seem as being merely Hypothetical in nature WITHOUT having provided any and ALL supportive Documentation as, imo, you have done re- your initial comment/s.
Legally and Legitimately speaking, Any Claim made without Supportive, Indisputable, irrefutable, tried, tested and verified EVIDENCE is MERELY a Unfounded Claim.

@Triphid Once again though:
It's an abstract. An abstract by its nature does not provide
detail of evidence.

And you made you're invalidations without having
seen the data tables themselves.

@Ian_Newton Then WHY have you NOT decided to provide such details/evidences in the first place then?

My grandad was an atheist but I don’t know anything about his upbringing.

Is this only in atheists growing in religious households, or across the board?

Anyone who self-identified as an atheist at the time of the survey. (n=870)
Most were raised either Protestant or Catholic.

@Ian_Newton Well, imo, there stands for all to see quite plainly the biasedness of the Survey.

Sure

ha i see what you did there πŸ˜€

Alright Sir NeverSure,

I will be in contact.
You too Bbyrd009, if desired.
And then after desiring you have to let me know
because I don't have an automatic desire detection device installed in...myself.

@Ian_Newton Jeez Louise, I hope you have your Flak-jacket, etc, on permanent standby then because you will be 'flying' into one hell of a Flak storm, mark my words on that.

I became an atheist after reading the bible cover to cover.

ah well it does say that wisdom is hidden from the wise eh
not that i know anything, but i mean the owl, etc?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578609
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.