Agnostic.com

7 5

Dang we really live in a world where the majority believes in fairy tale bull bull. How do we fix that.

GodlessDio 2 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

its "unfixable"

unchangeable minds and lack of brain power will always keep them stagnent

look at how fat the USA is, its like 2/3rds of adults are overweight or obese

people don't wanna do the work thats all , its a shame but it is what it is

critical thinking and self dicipline isnt that hard , wake up people!

Dang, indeed! But as comedian Ron White so famously observed, "You can't fix stupid."

'Ya can't fix belief. What you believe is up to you. They believe what they want. What we can do is prevent them from forcing their beliefs upon the rest of us by their laws. Forced school prayer, religious declaration on official papers, assigning religion, mandating religion etc. Converting believers is not my goal. Preventing them from forcing it upon us, is.

I've been studying Trumpism and Q-Anon for a while now, and I'm not ready with a strategy yet. I know the zombies aren't going away and I'm looking for a treatment. Although, it sure seems like The Omega Man (1971) with Charlton Heston and Anthony Zerbe.

From the first day of Trump's 'alternate facts' regarding the so-called 'largest crowd to ever attend an inauguration' to the last day of lies about a 'stolen' or 'rigged' election, I don't believe that the majority ever bought this twisted man's 'fairy tale bull bull.' The majority in this post likely refers to persons of faith which, come to think of it, one has to have a lot of to follow Donald Trump's bullshit!

How do we fix that? I don't think we do. There are some people — more than we'd probably like to acknowledge — who always latch onto some form of magical thinking. For me, that's their business and not my place to convince them otherwise so long as they aren't pushing their views onto others or requiring others to live by their faith-based values. What we can do is have good, open conversations with people in our lives who are open to a more evidence-based worldview, letting them know why we don't believe religious claims and sharing with them what values and concepts we do hold. If they're interested, they'll ask more questions to help themselves in their understanding and growth; it's their journey, and they need to go at their own pace. I realize some others here will have a different approach in dealing with religious folk, and that's fine. I have come to the conclusion, though, that I'm not winning any hearts and minds by being stringent in my approach; I've found that more often galvanizes religious belief than unburdens anyone of their faith. Another thing I think we can do is, as parents and mentors, provide the children in our lives with the necessary tools for critical thinking, promoting logic, science, questioning, etc., and exposing them to as much of competing ideas as we can to hopefully show them that all faith-based claims lack evidence regardless of how sincerely held by adherents. I don't think any of this will significantly change the overall balance of faith-based beliefs, but if we can help someone come to terms with reality then we've still made a difference in that person's life. I think that's worthwhile.

The best chance for our democracy lies not with the vain hope that Republican leaders will grow spines, but with Democrats’ ability to show Americans that they do not have to settle.

I know what you mean but the Democrats are just not going to do any better, they still want the status quo we have now. They want the corps and the rich to have control, they just want it to be easier for us to live through the mess. Until we have a true democracy we will not have what this experiment is about. Also if we do not do something better we will not be living to have our children survive successfully the crap that has been planted for the past fifty years.

Many folks have been working on that for some time, now. Just waking up, eh? How cute.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578704
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.