Agnostic.com

18 14

LINK Texas Republican Files Bill to Inject Bible Readings in Public Schools | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Since nothing else is happening in Texas right now, State Rep. Mayes Middleton has introduced a bill, HB 2399, that would inject Bible readings into public school classrooms.

As it stands, Texas law requires students to say the (religious) Pledge of Allegiance as well as the (also religious) Pledge of Allegiance (Texas edition). Students are able to opt out only with written permission from their parents or guardians. Schools must allow have a one-minute moment of silence so students can do whatever they want (read: pray).

The new bill would also allow school boards to require schools to “provide a period of prayer and readings from the Bible each day.” It would be opt-in. And anyone who agrees to participate would not be allowed to sue the district over it.

It also says the rules apply to “school-sponsored athletic events,” though the text doesn’t specify anything about that.

snytiger6 9 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Deplorable

It's a clear violation of the First Amendment. Time to get the ACLU involved.

The one minute moment of silence is all I can remember from my school daze. We did say the Pledge but school or pre-game that was all about supporting Patriotism. We had a military draft system and they wanted to make you feel it was right to enlist. What Texas is doing now is total nonsense.

It's not a political party, it's a religious cult masquerading as a political party... This is the Texas gop.

Elitists hiding behind religion and racism.

They are sociopaths, trying to manufacture/brainwash the next generation of voters and insulate them from reality.

Religious tax exemption has to die, and the federal government has to enforce education standards.

domos Level 7 Mar 4, 2021

Maybe taking the wrong tack ....maybe we should attack as child abuse

Yup that's Texass

Absolutely the dictum of the obstructionist republican fascists, which has turned into a death cult following just like Islam!!!

I saved that meme for late use. Thanks.

Forcing students to say the pledge of allegiance is illegal even without the under god part. The Supreme court has spoken long ago on this and it gets tossed every time it gets pushed. FFRF has sued Abbott several times and won every time but Abbott, as per conservative/evangelical form simply ignores the ruling. Hopefully, after the last fiasco that hurt millions of Texans people will start to rethink electing this POS again.

Here, in the more civilized state of Washington it was recently mandated that sex education be taught in the schools even in early elementary years.

Don't hold your breath for Texans to vote Abbott out as governor. This is the state that sent Cancun Ted Coup back to the Senate a few years ago, and that has repeatedly sent Louis Gohmert back to the House. For political success in this state, having an "R" after your name on the ballot almost insures winning the election.

@RussRAB
Voted suppression is truly pushed and enhanced by the Texas obstructionist republican fascists wholesale, when these fascists own almost all the state, local and federal court justices!!!
You know you are in a fascist state!

@of-the-mountain Still, it's hard to believe a state as large as Texass with so many newcomers can continue to be ruled by fools. When people start suffering on the level they did recently (and some are still doing so) that nothing will change. Perhaps, they won't need to succeed they will be kicked out of the union and replaced with Puerto Rico.

Let's have the school kids read Ezekiel 23:20 "For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses."
Or how about Psalm 137:9 "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

I guess a scandal where Texans die from the freezing cold and another where the governor prematurely rescinds a mask mandate and opening up the Texas economy fully during the ongoing pandemic wasn't enough. Now they have to impose religion on school children in deference to the Constitution.

Bible readings>the stupendously ignorant ravings of the 2000 year old sheep herders who actually wrote the lines. Who wouldn't want their children advised in moral guidance by 2000 year old ignoramuses??

"Onward Tex Ass soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Madness going on before.
Mayes, the royal asshole, leads against the sane,
Forward into battle see his babbles gain!"

Hey, I THINK you mis-spelled 'Tex Ass, should it have been "Texarse" since that seems far more apt in this case....LOL

@Triphid When in the Land of the Yankee, speak Yankee and use Yankee spelling. Yes, Tex Arse is more suited to those of us living the Land of the Convict. 🙂

P.S. I have that heard bad things happen Navajo speakers fail to use the language of the invaders.

Of course these Obstructionist republican fascists want obedience not free thought or free speech!!!

Sure hope the FFRF takes them to court if this bullshit gets enacted.

Ah, Texarse, my rating of Texarse has just dropped from a ZERO to an ABSOLUTE ZERO.

Not a chance I’ll ever let anyone (especially a damn Texan) force me to read the dumbest book in history.
Fuck the Bible.
Seriously!

Texas is getting more fucked up by each passing day.

Is that ACTUALLY possible?

@Triphid Recent events suggest, yes it is possible. The governor probably believes the babblings of Trump with all his heart.

@freedom41 And here was me thinking that Texarse had hit rock-bottom decades ago.

It’s been fucked up for decades.

@CuddyCruiser I can say the say the same for Illinois.

Stupid faithfools trying to inject their religion into public school. What they going to do when muslim want a prayer room to use at school?

These are the same assholes who scream Constitution while ignoring a big part of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:579912
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.