Agnostic.com

11 2

Why are people leaving the site?

I know some have passed away. Free of evangeloons is not enough?

Mooolah 8 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was very active for 3 years. In the last year less so but started ZOOM CHAT twice a week. Staying at level 9 pretty much. Knew a few who died, left for various reasons or formed agnostic on FB.

So I went to some other atheist sites & the crickets were hotter than a July evening. I saw one post referring people over to this site. Why would anyone name their site "slug"? Unless it was an information site on or for invertebrates. Why ask "why"?

Well I am not leaving until I find something better....& there is little better than a god free site. & if no one interacts with the loyal opposition, then the barbarians at the Capitol have won. There are plenty of Conservatives who did not drink the kool-aid. The Lincoln Project proved that. Even if I am talking to myself, it is a manner of relieving stress. I talk to myself anyway. I tell people I'm speaking to the dog.....cat, parrot, guinea pigs, chickens, squirrels, spiders. And I like the people that are here. I miss the ones that are not. Mostly. One left because he wanted to work on his house. Another quit his job & is motorcycling around the country. One I am sure passed. One person is from Jordan & said the site was illegal there. I find the other social media sites with atheist groups speak mostly about the cause. A lot more diverse here. And less shallow. Sort of filtering out the noise.

I'm still here ... I joined because it presented a refreshing alternative to usual dating sites and facebook, and have been pleased my estimation was accurate. The wide spectrum of views is welcome. i like the unusual ... not the sameolsameol stuff. I got caught up in earning points early on just to learn the 'secrets' of the hoi polloi but met some of the higher earners and decided there was no mystery, just more experiences to be had as time goes by. I've tried to avoid insulting or annoying but my sense of humor may have offended some now and them, which i can live with. I think this is a fine example of what I first visualized when I discovered AOL and other online services back in the 90's and have been surprised since day 1 that there are no dues or fees.

Two reasons I think. First, that the dating service it advertises is quite useless to most of those who join because of it, so they just leave.
And second, those who stay are old, we die a lot.

Chuckling. =0}

Perhaps they get fed up with posting "why is the sky blue?" and someone decides to commentt blaming the poster for calling their bicycle red

lerlo Level 8 Mar 5, 2021

I agree ive seen more bull about my aunt preys over me what should I do .........or dumb questions trying to validate their choices but we all have the choice not to read them or to ignore what we don't care to see

Some have left,some died,some have returned...just like an actual club anywhere.
And if the posted topics are of no interest to you, post something!
Personally, I learn something just about every single day on here, over a Huge range of subjects.

I haven't left, but I'm not nearly so involved. It isn"t the same as when I joined, March 2018.

I sure do agree the site has evolved. I wish we could get a heads up before folks bail. To just disappear is unsettling. I still find the site less invasive than FB & others. I felt we had to give the administrator a chance & put up with the experimentation & the glitches. The thought that they were data collecting came to me & I was ridiculed. I am used to that. But others concurred. What site doesn't data collect. Obama built the largest government data storage site in history. Privacy was a great concept. I fear it is severely compromised. Not by this site but by everyday existence. Everything is data. Facial recognition. DNA swabs. GPS in my car whether I want it or not. The future is not mine.

Using disclosures from personal conversations to publicly ridicule whole groups of people without disclosure of intent is not data collection and is not ethical. I asked Admin if he had done so posing under another name or names and he didn't answer, which is an answer in and of itself.

BTW this site is not free of religiosity, many proponents masquerading as agnostics pedaling the ridiculous equivalency of there being god or gods with there not being any. I have been disappointed to see some members leave but respect their personal autonomy to determine what is best for them regardless of how it impacts me.

I still check it nearly every day, but it's not the same site it was when I joined in 2018. I personally don't like having to "join" groups to interact with comments that interest me. It's an extra hoop I don't like having to jump through. Too much organization I suppose - like having everything in boxes that I have to open to see what's inside. Would rather just have everything out in the open, but I can see how that isn't good either.

Seems when I joined, there was much more topics of interest in the general & hellos presented to me, instead of being asked to sift through the individual groups. Maybe I'm just not doing it right. It took me several weeks to figure out how to get all the racy photos off my personal feed.

I didn't like all the photos objectifying women, but seeing who was posting and "liking" them did show me which men I would never want to date if I ever decided to try dating again. Not sure why this is the place to have those photos be a person's first impression of the site - If that would have been the case when I checked it out for the first time, I'd be totally turned off and wouldn't have joined.

Definitely is not the same site as it was. Trying to adapt and hoping there will return to being a place for me to interact with like-minded individuals for intelligent discourse and witty banter which is what first attracted me to the site.

I agree with all you have said. I feel that admin has lost interest. They keep opening new sites and allowing stuff that isn't becoming, as you said. Whatever the goal is, I don't think it's here now. I'm sort of lingering hoping there might be a shake up.

It is not the same site I joined three years ago.
When I first came here I held good conversations with about 25 people who were willing to share a joke, learn from one another and generally be friendly.
Today I have 45 people who I still follow, 32 of them have not posted in over a year, and 15 more have gone from the list because they have left the group.
I regularly talk to about 13 people about nine of who I am good terms with.
The amount of bad feeling among members, the complaining about the site and the anger here has gotten to me and I have noticed the bitterness that has infiltrated the site coming out in my own posts.
I am clinging on, hoping things might get better again, that some of the old guard Might return, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yet all I see is an ever increasing number of trolls, religious soul savers, the agnostic but spiritual arsemongles, and worst of all the "woke" brigade, who live only to find fault with every one, to scream
-ist, -phobe and inappropriate at everyone else.
It is very tiring

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:580143
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.