Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Indian Man Arrested After Allegedly Beheading Daughter in “Honor Killing” | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

In a disturbing story — that I should say more reliable news sources have not verified — a man in India was arrested on the charge of murdering his own 17-year-old daughter for being in a relationship with someone he disliked.

Sarvesh Kumar, from the state of Uttar Pradesh, allegedly confessed to the “honor killing” after he was stopped by police:

snytiger6 9 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The story I read on it was he turned himself in to the police. Walked to the station carrying her head. Honor killings are quite common throughout the Muslim Middle East and Asia. Infractions that bring death by family can be as little as talking to a non family male, to an affair. It was not unheard of in Christian areas, but I think mostly disappeared after the Middle Ages. In all these societies, it is the woman who pays the price, since they are generally considered of less value and rarely can fight back. It’s a sad relic of evils of religion.

While it’s not clear what religion Kumar belongs to or what it was that led him to this attack, so-called “honor killings” remain a rampant problem in India and neighboring Pakistan. Violence against women, in general, is an issue:

According to the BBC, while there are no official statistics, hundreds of people are believed to be killed in India every year by family members over relationships or marriages that went against the wishes of their parents or other elders.

Stupid holdover from fundamental religion

While I know this type of thing happens, and this particular story could very well be true, I do wish that stories shared by Hemant Mehta would be verified before being published. True or not true, it's definitely a reminder of a cultural or religious ritual that deserves to be canceled, in any case.

And I'm not understanding why it must be the female that is murdered, rather than the male that is disliked by the father or family. In any case, the killings are wrong if it's due to love or romantic feelings between two people, disapproved by anyone. Even if it was due to a forced relationship, seems the anger should be aimed at the one doing the forcing, not the victim, if that was the case.

India has a large Muslim population. They murdered Ghandi.

You are incorrect. Ghandi was murdered by a Hindu fanatics, who didn't think Ghandi was Hindu enough and also thought he betrayed his fellow Hindus. It should be noted that Hindus also do honor killings too. [en.wikipedia.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:580298
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.