Agnostic.com

11 16

LINK Opinion | Living in Texas right now feels like an exercise in survival - The Washington Post

DALLAS — As spring makes inroads down here in North Texas, the impending reopening of the state feels ominously like a death trap.

At a Mexican restaurant in Lubbock this week, Gov. Greg Abbott 🌈proclaimed that he would issue an executive order to open Texas up “100 percent” starting next week — including, as he told a cheering crowd, ending a statewide mask mandate. “People and businesses don’t need the state telling them how to operate,” he said.

It was ironic that Abbott made his announcement on Texas Independence Day. For many of us Texans, what we desperately need is to be free from a GOP leadership that has put our safety last at every turn since the pandemic began. Abbott’s decision to lift occupancy limits on businesses and other restrictions is reckless and premature. If you are unvaccinated in Texas — as most of us still are — the message is clear: You’re on your own.

Then again, none of this is surprising. The Texas GOP’s necropolitics have been on full display during this pandemic year. Last March, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said that grandparents in Texas should be willing to sacrifice their lives for the sake of the state’s economy. When Abbott reopened the state in May, the move quickly resulted in a spike of cases, and he was forced to backtrack.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am sorry but if you are going down the road of partisan finger-wagging, why not mention how New York, ran by Democrats, has higher death tolls and California too. People are responsible for their own safety and leaving our “safety” in the hands of big government has been an unmitigated disaster

It is said people often get the government they deserve. If they don't like him vote him the hell out!

Anybody that says grandparents and older people should be willing to sacrifice their lives to this pandemic should not be in any office of any kind. Cult 45 also seems to be believing QAnon. There are still those who have no info but try to convince you of this all being 5 kinds of flu, and yes, some people will die. Morons rule. I had Covid-19 and survived at 74 years old. Not a normal flu.

Ultimately, it's the majority of Texans that have to come to these views, and act on it.
Meanwhile...
States working hard to comply with health guidelines should not be forced to welcome
travelers from states that refuse to comply.

But yet the US should welcome the 100,000 folks in the migrant caravan?

When I heard about the removal of restrictions it just made me sad.

Hopefully the majority of the ones that don't make it will be the ones who support raging plagues.

Leelu Level 7 Mar 7, 2021

Well I guess I would advise Texans to learn what Homo sapiens did like some 300,000 years ago or so, maybe they will become the dominant species in Texas. 🤔 And my best wishes for those Texans who want to stay safe. 🙂

I for see another backtrack happing soon.

They should blame Republican politics in the state.

But they always manage somehow to get re-elected.

Maybe they should elect Brian Moran. 🤪

It's called controlling redistricting.

Cult 45 is alive and well apparently.

MizJ Level 8 Mar 7, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:580767
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.