Agnostic.com

47 5

69 Visitors and no one says 'hello'

Why do so many people visit my profile and not say hello? Can you imagine that in real life. Someone sat in your front room. Looks round your house then goes without a word?? Say hi..I generally don't bite, well unless yer an absolute git.

Amisja 8 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have addressed this issue in a post. There is no way to say "hello" without initiating a private coversation. I asked @admin to give us a way to "like" or a "hello" button when we look at a profile....or comment on the profile even with the poster retaining control of being able to delete comments if they want.

In fact Admin is developing a group of Greeter/mentors, i have been asked to be one & accepted (WTH are they thinking, right?) So, soon...

Did not know that! Ty

Ok, I don't have the compliments button disabled, so is it on my profile? I can't see it if it is.
(hint hint - hahaha)
I also went to a considerable number of other member's profiles just now and did not see any compliments buttons. Am I missing it somehow?

We're working on a popup like this for the profile page. Will try to be both a "wink" and "add to my personal list of members I like" option.

@ScienceBiker ah.. "Send Compliment" button was removed a few months ago as it wasn't used much.

Hello? I hold the record of 112 and no hellos ?

I have 150 visitors, have had maybe 4 message me and I have messaged maybe 6 but all were more than just "Hi".

Hello

@jlynn37 Ratts, I thought I had a record, ha ha!

@Amisja Hi ?

Hello and welcome to the madhouse. ? I actually don't like that we're told who visited our profiles. I sometimes want to visit a profile to get a better understanding of where someone is coming from in the public discussions, or to jog my memory about other things they've commented on, but I'm hesitant to visit because I don't want to make it seem that I "rejected" anyone based on something I saw on their profile. In reality I just don't contact many people directly but, because there's a public component to the site, I think the profile visit log confuses things a little if anyone is here primarily for the public forum and isn't looking to do a lot of private messaging.

@AmiSue Absolutely. I'm hesitant to look at a profile for any reason because I feel like I'm going to appear as a stalker, especially if I forget who someone is and I visit their profile multiple times without realizing I've visited them before. It just feels so awkward. I know the developers are trying to keep the "dating site" aspect, and I'm guessing that's what made them inclined toward the prominent view log, but I really feel like it hinders activity overall because people feel more self-conscious.

I agree with you. I don't want people mistaking my reading their profile for my "checking them out" and wanting to connect romantically, so I often hesitate before clicking on their name/bio/profile.

After reading / answering your post I went to my profile and I found out that 278 members visited it since I joined. Guess what? No one said "Hello" to me. Should I cry and get depressed?

Hi there

Smile and know that so many people was interested/curious about you.

@jlynn37 Darling, I was attempting to make a point...to her. Nothing else.

Hey there.... how the heck are ya?

Hi, I'm well...lamenting a winter weight increase...blurgh. How are you?

I'm righter than rain my dear... thank you for asking. Have a great weekend!

I tried to say 'Hi' but you have to put in at least 28 characters, .........really?! 🙂

Hi

@Amisja D'oh! Should have done it here 🙂

@ipdg77 Its ok, we can chat now

Hi baby girl. It's never my intention to be rude. Get at me. We'll talk.

What does that mean?

@Amisja never mind!

Hi Jayne.
Yes I confess I visited your profile. I spotted a comment from you about being plain and ginger. I went to form my own opinion. You're not plain, and what's wrong with a passionate redhead?
Dave.

And you visited me too! I could sort of understand you not saying hello if I had revealed I was a Yorkshireman, but I don't think my profile mentions that.

Thank you

Say hi to them. Works both ways lol.

Very true.

I'm not sure your comparison to sitting in your front room and not saying a word , is accurate. And that might explain your disappointment of the lack of Hello's and at the same time relieve that annoyance. Your profile is PUBLIC, in this forum and so I'd suggest that it's more like someone sitting in a Restaurant next to your table and hearing your conversation. Would you expect/want them to butt in and say "Hi"!

If you can agree with looking at I to his ways, he noted I hope that solves your frustration

Not frustrated at all...but yeah I get that. Saying that I have always had a fairly open house

@Amisja well Hello anyway ?

I tend not to look at people's profile as I feel it might effect my view on their comments detrimentally. Also, I'm a great believer in judging people on their words rather than their gender, looks, colour, race, religion or anything else.

However, and this might be more to the point in reality, I sometimes cluck on the profile of a pretty woman. I don't believe that's because I'm a pervert or stalker but rather because I'm a heterosexual man and I like looking at pretty women (in a non-intrusive way). Now, if you as a woman was to know that, and you thought 50 guys had looked at your profile, that could be good reason to feel like that was some sort of compliment or, because they don't say hello (does that mean hit on you?) then I suppose that could give you good reason to be disappointed. Who knows, it was just an idea.

It's not possible (yet) to leave a note on a profile that would be publicly visible so those "hi" greetings would all come in the form of private messages. I think a lot of folks feel they are violating some ettiquette by initiating a PM without permission. So my guess is this may be part of the reason. I've had 157 visitors peek at mine and only one person has messaged me as a result. I know this because she specifically mentioned the profile. All of my other PMs were the result of post/response engagement. Hope this helps.

One of the parties has to initiate every PM chain without permission.
Else, how do you get permission?
Catch 22

If I see a profile that catches my attention and I want to know more, I will PM them. If ANYONE PMs me, I will ALWAYS respond with my own PM. Your mileage may vary.

Hey I messaged you .. I you must have a billion notifications now lol !!

Nope

@Amisja Well I messaged you !

I think I may have been one of them. Your right. I am going to re-visit and say hi.

Hi Julie, yes you are on my list! Pleased to meet you.

I can't speak for anyone else, but sometimes I visit a profile to find out more about a person - usually after they've posted something - and for a variety of reasons. I may just want to read some of their other posts, find out where they're from, or get a better look at that tattoo. I may find out they're a troll, not looking for the same thing as me, into something weird or have written no profile at all. I don't always think a greeting is appropriate and you are anyway asked not to simply say "hi". Since you are UK-based, I expect a lot of visitors are American, see that, and decide not to pursue matters. Don't take it personally, I may even have been one of your visitors as I remember you commented on my TYT thread.
And a warm, and very British, "Hello". 🙂

Yup! I especially agree with your first few thoughts.

The visiting is kind of saying 'hello.' Looking at people's profiles is the human digital equivalent of dogs sniffing each other's bottoms.

Hahahaha thats hilarious! I have had my bottom sniffed quite a lot it seems 😉

Hi

Hi

Salutations !

Tilia Level 7 Apr 15, 2018

You too

'Ello gov'na!

You'll find a different accent from Dick Van Dykes there. More of an 'Eaye up' or 'Ecky thump' down in that part of Britain! Lol.

Hello...

Hi

Hello. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Apr 15, 2018

Hiya Betty

I will talk to you

Thank you...

Eaye up and ecky thump lass

Awreet 😉

I did mean this tongue in cheek really...maybe British humour doesn't translate 😟

Hello from Colorado. By the way, I'm new, too.

Teal6 Level 3 Apr 15, 2018

Hiya

Pardon me for the intrusion

Hi

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:58093
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.