Agnostic.com

7 25

I laid in the only wet spot on the mountain. Created by me.

Love how clouds look like torn paper in high winds. Enchantment Mountains, WA. Last May.

Karen and I didn't know there was a Horse Lake Mountain. We got to the summit and found this bronze marker from the U.S. Geologic Survey, Nineteen Forty-One. Originally the bronze marker was flat on the rock. High winds scoured away rocks and dirt, leaving the marker above ground. Karen put rocks around it so people don't trip on it.

We watched it snowing in the Enchantments. In late May. If you look closely at the left side of the Enchantments in the 2nd photo, you can see it snowing. It was also snowing at Stevens Pass lower down, I learned later.

After lunch, Karen stretched out with her head pillowed by her pack. "Lie down, Kathleen!" she urged. "Take a load off." On hikes, I never lie down unless in a tent. Ticks.

To humor Karen, I flipped over my pack and lay down with my head higher than my feet. Unknown to me, the open bite-valve on my Camelbak water reservoir was pinned just-so beneath the pack frame.

"I'm lying in a puddle!" I yelped, springing up and getting my gloves wet. The backs of my jacket, shirt and pants were soaking wet. In freezing winds. This was serious. Hypothermia.

"No worries, Karen," I said cheerfully. "Inside my pack in ziploc bags are a down jacket, dry long-sleeved shirt, raincoat/windbreaker, hat and gloves."

Bundled up at the view point, I slammed my knees together to conserve body heat. The only problem: out of water. But I had drinking water in the car. I survived.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nice hike and story Kathleen, with beautiful photos. I found the title a bit funny.

@Robert_2001

Thank you, Robert.

Glad you saw the humor in the title. Self-deprecatory humor.

I love your stories and the photos that accompany them. Have you ever thought about writing a book?

@19dacar52

Thank you. My first book was published in 2008. I wrote a monthly column for the Wenatchee Business Journal for eight years. Occasionally I sent hiking stories to The Good Life magazine of Wenatchee. They always publish them.

But I don't want to advertise favorite hikes, generating crowds that ruin the experience.

I keep a record of memorable hikes on my computer: Ecstatic and Scary Hiking Experiences. You reminded me to add this story.

Beautiful pics for sure ,Your hiking is always a total adventure ,Happy you and Karen have each other for safety

Ahhh....phew...

With the title, I thought you were bragging! 😎

Great pictures. Lucky you 😅

Exciting and interesting hike. Great pictures

Yikes honey please be careful

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581037
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.