Agnostic.com

5 23

LINK Study investigates American atheists’ stigmatization, psychological well-being | CYFS | Nebraska Center for Research on Children, Youth, Families and Schools | University of Nebraska–Lincoln

The religiously unaffiliated, including atheists, are the fastest-growing (non)religious population in the United States. But the social stigma associated with atheism leaves this population vulnerable to isolation and poor mental health outcomes.

Dena Abbott, assistant professor of counseling psychology, is using a one-year Research Council grant to investigate the psychological well-being of two groups of atheists — rural-residing and woman-identified atheists — in the context of anti-atheist discrimination in the U.S.

Abbott notes that research on atheism is scarce. Few studies have examined atheists’ psychological well-being, she said, which generates uncertainty among mental health practitioners about how to practice with and advocate for this population.

“One question I get a lot is about how often atheists actually experience discrimination,” said Abbott, a CYFS research affiliate. “Research suggests that it is quite frequently.”

HippieChick58 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I also outwardly show my opinion of religion by frequently donning these garments

@altschmerz Nice garment!! Wear it with pride!! If you got it online do you have a link?

@altschmerz It worked I googled it and I found it, I really appreciate it!! All of mine I had printed from memes i found around the internet. 👍🤟🤝

@Cuddy, nice shirts. My 'Godless Heathen' shirt is still my favorite. Followed by 'APOSTATE' and 'PAGAN'.

I’m never the first one to bring it up. But I will not hesitate to say it if I’m asked about it. It’s not about respect, not about being offensive, it’s just being who you are.

I would rather be hated for being who I am than being liked for being or acting like something I’m not.

I'll second that. 😁

U.S. society stigmatizes both atheists and non-leftists.

She'll be recruiting subjects nationwide. I wonder if 500 subjects will be sufficient for her to identify regional variations. I'm only borderline "rural-residing" and not at all "woman-identified," but I imagine the experience for atheists in those two groups here in Massachusetts is very different from that in Nebraska.

Very true. Rather than say "atheist" I avoid the subject or say "I'm not religious". My wife's family is very religious and still refuses to believe I am an atheist, despite her telling them repeatedly, because they think so highly of me. Someone as kind and smart as I couldn't possibly be an atheist. And they never bring it up or ask. In high school I was actually beat up by the good Christian boys.

I also say "nonreligious" as it seems to be less offensive, but probably only because in my experience, Christians generally think it means that you don't go to church, not that you don't believe in god.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581212
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.