Agnostic.com

2 6

LINK White nationalists use Christian symbols to send messages to racists

WASHINGTON – A screaming man with his fist raised, a Byzantine cross emblazoned in red on his T-shirt. A white flag with a lone green pine tree and the words "An Appeal to Heaven" fluttering over the angry crowd. The Christian flag whipping in the wind from a parked pickup.

Those images on display at the Jan. 5-6 rally and riot in Washington, D.C., have raised concerns that some of former President Donald Trump's most ardent and dangerous supporters, including groups such as the Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, QAnon, 3 Percenters and America Firsters, are cloaking themselves in biblical language to justify their actions.

The flags and other displays are the latest examples of how white terrorists throughout history, including the KKK, have cited Christianity to justify what they claim is their God-given right to control races and ethnic groups, experts said.

The displays – including a prayer invoking Christ from the Senate rostrum by a QAnon shaman who broke into the Capitol – have so alarmed some faith leaders that they published an open letter Friday signed by more than 1,400 pastors and church leaders condemning the "perversion" of their faith.

"The use of Christian symbols, iconography, Scripture in efforts to dominate and exclude are as old the republic itself," said the Rev. Fred Davie, executive vice president of Union Theological Seminary in New York City. "It's deeply baked into our nation. It's deep, but it's also been proven time and time again to be wrong.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They're about everything EXCEPT the subject of their holy book.

I heard from my sister this morning - the religious one. In a rant about how big pharma is making millions on the COVID vaccine she mentioned the book The Harbinger and she is not going to get the vaccine. I looked up the title. WTF?!?! It's a fiction best seller based on a book of the bible, prophesy and bullshit -IMHO.
All I said was Well here in this county you can spot the right wing, no masks or worn below the nose and thanks to them my good friend is in the hospital with COVID and I'll be getting a COVID test today. I had what is considered moderate exposure. I am really fing pissed and worried for my best friend.
For a county with only 44,000 there are a lot of religious right leaning trump supporters and white nationalists.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.