Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK Maryland Musician Who Converts White Supremacists Reflects on Capitol Riot – NBC4 Washington

"They think their world is coming to an end, they're being erased," Daryl Davis said. "That's why they came to the Capitol."

Daryl Davis' home is filled with music and memories of playing with rock 'n' roll royalty such as Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis.

But Davis' home is also filled with Ku Klux Klan robes and other memories of his nearly 40 years of working to convince white supremacists to renounce racism.

Davis has helped to convert more than 200 former white supremacists, including Jeff Schoep, a former leader in a neo-Nazi movement.

The more you go after their reality, the more they will aggressively defend it.

Daryl Davis
Davis says he was not surprised by the deadly riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

"They think their world is coming to an end, they're being erased," Davis said. "That’s their perception, so it’s their reality. That’s why they came to the Capitol."

Davis, who has written and lectured about his success converting white supremacists, bases his approach to changing minds on listening and understanding.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those who can't adapt get removed, one way or another. People who haven't figured that out deserve no pity when they fall.

It would be nice to hear the alternate perspectives he offers them. I was waiting, but nothing surfaced. That would be the most important part, right?

I am not optimistic about converting most of these people.

I think maybe the Conquistadors had a point: Convert them, then immediately behead them to prevent them reneging

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581544
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.