Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK Amend: The Fight for America Reminds America of its Promise - TheHumanist.com

“What do you think about when you think of America?” actor Will Smith poses this question at the beginning of his six-part Netflix documentary Amend: The Fight for America (released last month). We hear “This Land is Your Land” sung as we see images of the Statue of Liberty, fireworks, baseball, apple pie, the moon landing, etc. Then we dive into the heart of the series by learning about the history and impact of the Fourteenth Amendment, and how people struggle to be recognized by the U.S. government and other Americans.

This must-see limited series seamlessly blends narration by Will Smith and others (including Randall Park, Larry Wilmore, Lena Waithe, Utkarsh Ambudkar, and Gabriel Luna); interviews with historians, professors, and activists (who share their personal stories as well as professional knowledge); dramatic historical readings by actors; and powerful animation often using the episode title as a metaphor. It juxtaposes archived photos and videos with current ones, showing the links between past and present movements and the intersectionality of justice.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Listened to Al Franken this morning. This is a good one.

I see a country Torn asunder by institutionalized, systemic, fully embraced Racism and Bigotry..I see a country of an over abundance of Obscenely Wealthy people who's greed knows No bounds. I see the majority shackled to inadequate compensation jobs, healthcare that forces them into debt, that barely affords them homes, or pays bills, or purchases food. I see a land where the majority are enslaved by credit debt for the entirety of their lives.
I see a country in the midst of dynamic, empowering change, that will start us on the road fulfilling our collective desire for an America that lives up to its promise.

President Trump and the Republicans wanted to repeal the 14th Amendment. We bit a bullet and it's not over. We should enforce section 3. [clarionledger.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:582160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.