Agnostic.com

4 9

167 and still counting.
I 've helped bring 167 babies into this world since my first days as a Mid-wife back in 1976, a few in a bit of hurry to arrive BUT NONE can match the twins from yesterday morning.
Yesterday being my usual and boring Grocery Shopping Excursion, I decided to take a squiz at the Newly Opened K-Mart Store in the Complex where I get my Groceries.
Whilst wandering around and checking things out, I walked by a very heavily pregnant woman.
She was looking slightly uncomfortable, as can only be expected, and a bit distressed so I asked her if she needed any help.
Her response was, " I'm due any day now, I'm carrying twins, they will be my second and third children, Oh, shit, my waters have just broken, call an Ambulance please, I need a Mid-wife fast, they are coming now."
Thanks to the Staff we managed to get her to the Staff Break room, got her settled on a stack of new new sheets just in the nick of time.
I said to her, " Well, the Ambos are being called right now, you've got a Trained and Qualified Mid-wife standing right here, all I need to help you is a good scrub of my hands with a decent dose of Hand Sanitizer and with your permission we can go ahead."
Her reply was a bit surprising, " Bugger the Ambos, just wash your hands and let's get this done PLEASE."
15 minutes later, I placed her twins daughter into her arms, wrapped in, as we learned a few minutes later, the MOST expensive towels in the Store, placentas expelled and packaged up in a Toiletries bag, the Ambulance arrived 25 minutes later due to the first being dispatched having an engine failure as it left the Depot and the other being already transporting a Patient to the Hospital.
Babies and Mum are doing fine, Dad arrived at hospital as the second Ambulance arrived there with their 23 month old son still in his pajamas looking quite flustered and surprised to say the very least.
As for me, well it will be Groceries Day this morning due to an 'unexpected ' disruption....LOL.
Followed, later today with an invited visit to the Hospital to see Mum and these 2 new babies again PLUS getting the great Honour of being allowed to hold them, this time, clean and smelling as new born babies always do.
And we will now get the chance to introduce ourselves to one another as well.

Triphid 9 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wonderful!!!!!! I'm sure you have other interesting and wonderful stories to tell.

Ever have anyone that didn't feel labor?

Yes once, quite funny as well.
The Mother-to-be was already in the Delivery Room after her waters had broken, more like gushed, and as we were getting her onto the Delivery Bed she said, " I'm very sorry, but I think I need to have very big fart."
We looked at each other and her and just said, " Go ahead, it relieves the pressure," as a kind of a joke.
Well it wasn't a fart as such that burst forth, it was her 3rd. baby, a boy weighing in at 7lbs 8 ounces that ' shot out' almost like a cork from a Champaign bottle.
I remember that one so clearly because, ironically, her Last name was, of all things, " Popovich."
And I'm not joking there either.
When she was asked what his name was going to be, she laughed and said, " Haven't worked that one out as yet, but his nickname will always be Magnus, Magnus Popovich."

@Triphid I didn't feel either time, just the pressure at the end like she did. I actually was sent to the hospital the first time from the doctors office and I didn't believe him. Drove myself in rush hour traffic, got there and twenty minutes later I'm in the labor room, the ex walks in throwing on the paper gowns yelling wait, and he barely made it to see her born. The second time, they told me to feel with my fingertips to see if my abdomen got hard and to go then. Made it with an hour to spare and good thing because his cord was around his neck three times and it was knotted.

I had defective luteal phase so I was fortunate to "catch" those two pregnancies in time to take meds to keep them. Never caught it in time again. One of each....and expecting my first grandchild in September by my daughter who's 35. 😀

Right place, right time, good you were there.

That's an awesome story. I'm sure she was very happy to have you there.

Wow, good you were there for her!

Well, one thing I can say is that "I am 'keeping' my hand/s in when it comes to being a Mid-wife."

@Triphid Even during your shopping day!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:582600
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.