Agnostic.com

8 0

Bifocals or Progressives?

So I have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow and I think it's time... I think some people on this ite may have already gone through this 🙃

The look of them is not part of the equation. I've heard progressives can be difficult to use. And I wouldn't mind being a quirky bifocal wearer.

MsAl 8 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to see old men in restaurants with their heads teetering back and forth. I figured they were just unable to hold their heads up due to age, but now I have progressive lenses.

generally i like progessives better for reg day to day activities, but bifocals i like better for reading.

I went for the trifocals.
I still have to lift my glasses to see things up close for detail. For me it really wasn’t worth it.

I liked progressives when I wore them. (Better than bifocals.) Now I've had lasik, so I have reading glasses and night driving glasses for the few times my new eyes don't cut it .

I wear progressives. No issues whatsoever.

@MsAl So progressives are more expensive, much. I get all my glasses from a website. You input your prescription add +2.0 or whatever is on the prescription. You'll need pupil distance in millimeters. You can have a friend crayon mark your pupils on a pair of glasses and measure between the two marks. Do it several time so it's pretty accurate. I get nice frames, prescription plus progressive and AR coating for about $50 with shipping. I don't know if this is allowed but the website I use is [zennioptical.com]

I also get my glasses (progressive lenses) from Zenni Optical and pay about $75, which includes a few extras (anti-reflective coating, sunglass clip on).

But please do get an Rx from your eye doctor and just request a copy of the prescription. Everything you need will be on there for you to input into your online order.

@Apunzelle You need pupil distance which some doctors are reluctant to give you (they sell glasses) $75 is for fancy frames. I've gotten $6.95 frames that are better than you might think with a 20% coupon code progressive and AR coating anti scratch plus shipping was like $40. Either way it's a bargain. When I had insurance, it still cost me $200 for progressives. Zenni is the best!

I have used zenni for years. I have heard they aren't great for the progessives.. So it's encouraging to hear.

Currently I have decent insurance. I get two pairs up to $200 each and free progressive lenses.

I think I'm going to get my 2 pairs of progressives from the office then use my prescription to get cheap plain reading or computer glasses on zenni and for doing detailed beadwork with my near prescription and some tinted driving ones with my distance prescription..

You should use your personal code when spreading the word about zenni, you can earn discounts. I've gotten $5 off my last few orders since I shared it on Twitter last year.

@MsAl I'm good with the $5. So definitely get the progressive lenses. One word of advice. Get a fairly tall lens height. It will be easier for you to get used to your first pair of progressives. Good luck lol. I thought I was enlightening you.

@MsAl Funny, I had my eye exam just yesterday, and the doctor told me Zenni wasn’t good for progressive lenses. Not that she’s biased ... noooo. 😄

I’ve bought two pairs from Zenni (both under $100), and they’re as equally good as the $400 pair I got from her shop.

@barjoe So odd! My prescriptions always include my pupillary distance. I looked it up online, and apparently it’s a law (at least here in the States) that eye doctors give you a copy of your prescription — whether or not you ask for it.

If I were you, I’d demand my full Rx. It’s your right to have it.

[ftc.gov]

Progressives. They take a little while to get used to, a week or so, but worth it. Computer screens are different distances to reading a book and when I first started needing glasses I got them for reading and then wondered why I was getting neck pain. It was leaning into the computer. Also progressives you put on in the morning and leave on. Because you're not taking them off all the time they don't get scratched near as much, so they last longer.

Progressives. I had a pair of lined bifocals once, they were horrible. No line bifocals are way better once you get used to them. Bifocals were invented by Benjamin Franklin 250 years ago. He was a brilliant man, he invented Daylight Saving Time as well. Somewhat useless trivia. [fi.edu].

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:582659
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.