Agnostic.com

49 10

Do you self-identify as a nerd?

I’m curios to see how many of us self identify as “nerds.” I’m purposely not defining nerd—feel free to leave a comment on how you define it. I’m going to do a likert scale (1 to 5). I really apologize if anyone is offended by this. I hate name calling and that is definitely not my intention.

• 12 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 78 votes
  • 29 votes
Lilie 6 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments (26 - 49)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think I'm nerdy but I can be pedantic 🙂 which is totally different of course but just thought I'd say it 🙂

I'm not gonna fall for your nerd trap! LoL

I identify as both with a human sub classification

If intelligent, political activist and social justice warrior is considered nerdy? No one ever called me nerdy. Trivia buff.

I'm more of a nerd than I am a geek. I think of the difference as being mainly that nerds focus on the cerebral, are more introverted and introspective, and are more "bookish" in nature, and geeks tend more toward gadgets and trends, are more extraverted and socially aware, and are more interested in pop culture. There's overlap, of course, and geeks and nerds dovetail traits, but generally that's how I think of it. I am, however, a full-stack web developer, so there's a lot of geek in the design aspect of the job, but also nerdiness in the database programming. And I'm into graphics and logo design, which puts me into some geeky areas, but I also like writing and math and the roots and origins of words. I'm a little odd in that I was an English major in college, with a minor in mathematics and unofficial concentrations in philosophy, computer science, and visual art/design. That's an unusual combination of interest and aptitude. But, still, I consider myself to be somewhat nerdy in general.

I like your outlook on life and share many traits but am not college trained and have read everything scientific and artsy. I am a USMC vet of the Korean era and am a life member of the MC League, the Women Marines Association and the DAV. I Don’t drive becuz my VA Drs warned me that I shouldn’t and my youngest daughter took it seriously and when I went in to renew my DL she signed me up for an Ohio ID card! (Bless her pointed little head!) so I sold my car and have been in the dumps recently but am pulling me out of that defeatist ideology. I love to camp, have been a volunteer naturalist w/the Lorain County Metro Parks, was on their Bd of Friends for 10 years or so and was President. I also have lived in Hawaii before it was a state, and put together the first volunteer program for the Oceanside Unified Scool
District, which led me into being selected Marine Wife of the Year for 1972. Lots more to share if you’re interested.

I've been a nerd/geek for as long as I can remember and will continue to be so until the day I die.

I like a few "nerdy" things like comic book characters/movies, sci fi movies, some anime (mainly Dragon Ball, but know about others), play and watch video games.

I'm a big ol' nerd. It's even in my bio! ?

I have strong nerd tendencies - hard science major, love of sci fi and fantasy fiction, lover of bizarre trivia. However, I'm an extrovert who enjoys death metal and kickboxing, so my nerdism is somewhat tempered.

Yes I guess I am nerdy. 20,000 comic books and old toys most likely puts me in nerdom by default!

I don't really select titles or descriptions for myself. I leave it to those with a more objective point of view to decide. My favorite, and only, nephew tells me I am though.

JimG Level 8 Apr 22, 2018

Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Taken. Nix the Makeup, Hair dye, Nail Polish, and let the sun do the rest. Anyone can find fault in anything and they are usually trying to disclose their shortcomings. Let the sun shine upon you and do it all naturally.

No, but whats the big deal really anyway?

I found out I am often a nerd by accident.. I didn't mean to be a nerd it just came over me !

Proud to be a nerd!! Life is so much more interesting when you have endless curiosity about the world and the universe.
I know what TARDIS means, what it is and who 'drives' it. I know who said "I'm giving it all she's got", what color a Vulcans blood is and what Klingons evolved from. I know what delta v is and why a falling object is measured in ft per second per second.
All kinds of bits of knowledge stuffed in my head helps explain things in a logical manner while still allowing for flights of whimsy and boundless imagination. I can soar amongst the stars, watch a supernova, experience a starbirth or drift in clouds of hydrogen in my head.
Being a nerd is a wonderful thing.

I am definitely a nerd.

I have become my own nerd. Well, sort of. I'm a nerd in many good ways. Even though I'm a former body builder I would make a good mad scientist.

I worked in a big retail store in the electrical dept...we sold computers, camera's, tv's and all the white goods...and I was an advisor...I have always been into computers and camera's and my friends were the same so when I started working there was surprised that the collegues knew virtually nothing about the products they were selling to customers...I made many friends there because if they were looking for something or didnt know what they wanted I would give them good honest advice on the right product...I helped people when their computer went on the blink and if I could fix it I would...I retired from the store 2 years ago and sometimes pop in to get stuff and am told customers are still looking for my advice...I consider myself a normal person but everyone else thought I was a geek...I take it as a compliment..

I am a computer hardware engineer.... 🙂

More of a geek I think

I would definitely class myself as a nerd, in that I do unusual technical things for fun. However I think the term has been hijacked to mean someone very uncool or to mean someone who reads/watches comics and lots of sci-fi - that's not me.

I'm a geek then.

Being a nerd used to be uncool. Now, comics and sci-fi are mainstream, and some of those nerds think they're the cool ones.

Oh, how times have changed.

@ScienceBiker I laughed so hard I hurt myself. I’m a dork and wannabe geek. lol ?

I am a technologist who writes about tech. So I am a pro nerd of the tech kind. However there are many non pro nerds that out nerd me.

I yam what I yam. People constantly call me a hippie, but I consider myself me.

I'd say I'm Nerdy but also Geeky. Nerds are into Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Superhero kinda things. Geeks are into techie stuff like repairing their laptops and knowing the difference between the web and the net. Obviously a lot of crossover here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:58267
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.