Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK Atheists and believers have different moral compasses | Live Science

This finding is "intriguing," Rios said. There's a notion in many Western societies that religious belief and rational, scientific thought are incompatible, she said. "Yet, the finding that religious believers don't see rational thinking as any less of a moral issue than do non-believers suggests this notion of conflict may be overstated," Rios said.

Word 8 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

yes quite different athesists are much more open minded

Yeah Christians are flexible in justification for horrible acts due to religious beliefs

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 17, 2021

Christianists believe they are being rational.

“How can you be a moral person and be an atheist?” I get asked by Christians who don’t know me. Friends who are atheists get asked the same thing. It is rude and tiresome. Being a good person is a choice.

On a dating site, a Christian psychologist sent me this message:

“I really like your playful, creative, giving being. You’re more spiritual than most religious people. I’m curious how an atheist can live that way.”

I would never hassle Christians about their faith. Christians who don’t know me often insist that I explain:

1. Why I am an atheist.

2. How the universe began (as if being an atheist automatically makes me an astrophysicist). “Nobody knows,” I reply. “Science is advancing every year."

3. What happens when people die. “Nobody knows,” I reply.

4. What is spirituality?

I don’t have to justify my lack of belief in an invisible diety to anyone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:582724
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.