Agnostic.com

5 1

As agnostics and atheists, we all know the corruptibility of all religions - that's a given. But, what are we to think of their so-called sacred books, the Bible, Koran, Torah, Vedas?
Are the writers simply crazed misguided fanatics, or are they serious individuals seeking serious answers. Christians say the Bible was written by God through these so-called prophets, That is blatantly absurd beyond belief.
And, what about verses in those so-called holy books? If I, as an agnostic atheist, like a verse in the Bible, for example, would I be giving some unwarranted recognition?
Let me give an example. For many years, I was in the Christian world, before I discovered who and what I am. In the Christian world, I had a favorite Bible verse. That verse is Romans 12:2 which reads: "Do not be conformed to the things of this world, but be ye transformed by the renewal of you mind."
I still like that verse and it has an enlightened meaning for me as an agnostic atheist. Religion is a thing of this world - I don't conform to it. But, I've become transformed by the renewal of my mind, in seeing and accepting the truth in becoming an agnostic atheist.
In short, is it stupid and hypocritical to use a Bible verse, to support my agnostic atheist beliefs? Or, can a nugget of truth be found in an enormous pile of manure?

Tomm 5 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A work colleague (and Christian) once told me about a former colleague who used to send a underling away on long business trips so that he could carry on an affair with his wife. I commented "very old testament", and my colleague looked puzzled. I explained "David and Bathsheba", and he frowned and changed the subject. The next day he asked me how I knew that, I told him that I can enjoy a good yarn without having to believe that every word of it was true. I was too polite to point out that he had to go away to look up a reference to something that he professed to be an expert on...

There are bits of wisdom to be found in all 'holy writings', but a lot more can be found outside of them. Most of the bible's wisdom is, in fact, self evident. It doesn't take a lot of thought to uncover every bit of wisdom contained in the bible and a great deal more without ever looking at it, plus you save yourself a lot of messy wading through bullshit. Take my advice, don't wade in the bullshit. It's untidy and you might catch something.

Thanks for responding to my post, and you're right, I'm wasting my time contemplating such nonsense!

The core books of all religions are primarily cultural mythology designed to justify, support, and sustain the religion. Still, there are some valid thoughts contained within them, and we don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Thank you for responding to my post. When I wrote the post I was in agreement with you. But, as others responded to my post, especially Silvereyes, I've decided thinking I can find anything of value, in so-called holy books is a waste of time.

Don't forget the Bhavagad Gita book.

Although to some quoting a holy scripture because you find the passage meaningful, may be distasteful I do not believe that it is. Although it may not seem like it at times a good deal of philosophy is embedded in holy texts because it was through religion that people used to think about philosophical matters and many thoughts are described in religious texts through the stories. Therefore, I believe it is reasonable to use the philosophy described in scripture to defend whatever beliefs you wish. If you look at it another way there is no reason not to quote Ben Franklin (or most of the US Founding Fathers) about liberty and freedom just because they owned slaves. Their words still may ring true.

Exactly! Many statements/teachings attributed to Jesus are amazing. Just because I like what he said or even quote him does not mean I'm christian. The same could be said for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mohandas Gandhi and many others. You can pick out what you find true. You don't have to accept it whole cloth.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my post. I would like to believe that truth is truth, good is good, right is right, wisdom is wisdom, wherever it is found but then objective and subjective biases combine and muddle everything up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5830
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.