Agnostic.com

8 8

LINK Is the evangelical view of sex at the root of our sex scandals?

"(RNS) — Evangelicals are pointing fingers at “celebrity Christian culture,” blaming it for the tragic Ravi Zacharias sexual abuse and rape scandal and the extramarital escapades of Hillsong pastor Carl Lentz (as well as so many more). But what if this epidemic is not just — or even mostly — caused by celebrity culture?

What if it’s the evangelical view of sex?

Yes, celebrity culture gave Zacharias more access to victims and gave both men cover for what they were doing. But it was not celebrity culture that taught these men to objectify women. Our evangelical culture primed them for it."

WilliamCharles 8 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I heard a lot of these types of sermons by fundamentalist preachers during the two years I crisscrossed the country for my book American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America. I attended Bible studies, prayer groups, conventions, tapings of Christian television shows, rallies held by Patriot Pastors, talks by leaders such as James Dobson, D. James Kennedy and Tony Perkins and creationist seminars. I visited the 50,000-square-foot Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky, took an Evangelism Explosion course, joined congregations at numerous megachurches for Sunday worship and participated in right-to-life retreats. I spent hundreds of hours interviewing scores of believers.

The simplistic message was always the same. The world was divided into us and them, the blessed and the damned, agents of God and agents of Satan, good and evil. Millions of largely white Americans, hermetically sealed within the ideology of the Christian Right, yearn to destroy the Satanic forces they blame for the debacle of their lives, the broken homes, domestic and sexual abuse, struggling single parent households, lack of opportunities, crippling debt, poverty, evictions, bankruptcies, loss of sustainable incomes and the decay of their communities. Satanic forces, they believe, control the financial systems, the media, public education and the three branches of government. They believed this long before Donald Trump, who astutely tapped into this deep malaise and magic thinking, mounted his 2016 campaign for president."

• Chris Hitchens

[scheerpost.com]

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, BUT what they are attempting to put across is that Men are hard-wired to seek, want, desire sex almost continuously and WOMEN are the root cause of it.
Women MUST take control of the urges endured by men, imo, Utter, Complete and Unmitigated BULLSHIT to the nth degree.
Because it, imo, is like saying that the person using the footpath in a town/city a thousand + miles away IS responsible for how the driver of a vehicle the same distance away is driving, OR,
Because someone flushed THEIR toilet in England then THEY alone caused a Flood to inundated a town/city/village in Asia or another country half a world away?
Imo, the Misogynists running Religions ALWAYS seek to blame the women for their OWN Mis-deeds, Short-comings and Faults WHEN , in fact, it SHOULD be the other way around.

Like the suggestion that it is Muslim men who should be required to cover their own eyes.

I believe that

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 21, 2021

Plenty of non-evangelicals commit sexual atrocities. Religion in general certainly doesn’t help. Nor does a patriarchal society that treats women as objects for men to take what they want

Hear! Hear!

Sex is a natural function of life

Did you read the article? It’s not talking about sex between 2 consenting individuals

@Marcie1974 OK....but I feel like promoting sex rather than religion.

And reading this I have to say Oh THANK GOD that when I was a married Xian I didn't buy that BS. My ex had enough inhibitions and enough practice pleasing himself I never even considered anything else. That article made me shake my head hard enough I may have whiplash. And need another shower. There are some mightily deluded people in this world, glad I am no longer counted amongst them.

We are a small but often mighty group of rationalists. It is puzzling to us to see just how many others insist on retaining their blinders.

Well, it sure contributes to the motives of mass-murdering fuckheads.

Yes; that and Disney princesses.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:583708
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.