Agnostic.com

7 11

In Deleted Sermon, Georgia Shooter’s Pastor Said “Radical Feminism” Was Satanic | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Crabapple First Baptist Church announced this week that they were going to officially kick Robert Aaron Long, the Georgia spa shooter who murdered eight people, out of their congregation. They explained that despite celebrating his baptism in 2018 (in a now-deleted Facebook post), they could “no longer affirm that he is truly a regenerate believer in Jesus Christ.” In other words, he had betrayed Jesus.

The statement itself seemed fairly comprehensive. The church admitted Long’s family members were part of the congregation. They condemned his actions. They put the blame entirely on him — not the victims or Satan.

But at the same time, they basically took down their entire social media infrastructure. They said this was out of concern for the safety of their members, which is understandable… but why remove every past sermon? Why remove basic statements about the church’s beliefs? Those don’t contain personal information. Those are ideas the church, until this week, wanted to spread!

Here’s one theory: The church, which is at least loosely affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, has promoted a lot of awful ideas in the past, and those views may have shaped the thinking of Long.

You’re going to have a rough time finding video or audio of past sermons. They’ve removed their videos on YouTube. They’ve closed down the sermon archives on their website. But it looks like the church forgot to clear all of its sermon archives from Spotify and a few other places… and a sermon from last September gives us a glimpse at their hard-line view of traditional gender roles.

HippieChick58 9 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Expect anything different I didn't

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 22, 2021

Every thing that is a female positive, as far as self worth and power, is Satanic to those asses.

Yeah, because (probably) captive sex workers epitomize feminism.........

They're terrified of feminism and they don't even know what it is.

My ex-roommate was a full-on irrationalist. She was marginally connected with the music industry and when it chewed her up and spit her out, everyone was Satanic according to her. After her regularly volunteering that this or that artist (music, movie, tv, director, etc.) or industry or political powerhouse was Satanic, I'd start asking in all seriousness, "Is this Satanic?," she'd get defensive saying I was mocking her faith (an unusual Unitarian/Judaism blend). I asked her how would I know otherwise?
Several incidents around the house she'd blame on demons.

I will admit, my cat spazzed out a little more than normal while she was here, prompting my usual response where I'd ask my cat, "You see ghosts? Monsters?"

Your car did see, or sense something, crazy. Your cat saw crazy.

I'm not on Spotify and not sure I really want to read any of their views. Tis very curious though all the past sermons have been removed - like they actually know/understand how the hard-line doctrine can actually lead to negative outcomes. Just my opinion.

In my honest opinion, there are NO excuses, etc, for what he has done.
And, imo, the Baptist Church is merely pulling a type of a Double Blind move here in that,
A) Whilst they say Publicly that they are distancing themselves from him and his heinous crimes,
B) Imo, they are, in actual fact, PRIVATELY supporting his actions, raising funds for his Defense in Court and, possibly, perceiving him as being a Martyr to the Evangelist/Baptist Cause as well.

Tie him to a big cart wheel and roll him through Chinatown!

@Healthydoc70 Nah, bugger that, Keel-haul the mongrel in Shark Infested waters instead.

Faithfools trying to do a CYA over long.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:583744
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.