Agnostic.com

3 5

Why parents are saying NO to "Yes Day" on Netflix. Put kids in charge?

The Netflix hit is stirring strong feelings among already-exhausted moms and dads.

Instead of a Yes Day, I tried to eliminate "No's" as much as possible.

"Which green vegetable do you want for dinner, broccoli or green beans?" Giving Claire a choice (as much as possible) eliminated power struggles.

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Choices are better. Gives both people some amount of control over what happens. Yes is so open-ended

Wow, so that's a hit? Sometimes I'm so glad I don't watch a lot of television. It sounds like a ridiculous premise for a kid's Saturday morning show, where they supposedly learn the lesson of money not buying happiness while the parents learn to spend more time with their children. Old theme/new show.

I was a widowed working mother doing it all on her own, raising a daughter in an area where her school friends regularly went on international trips, ate out multiple times a week, and had the latest technology to play with, all things which I couldn't afford. So she already knew kids who lived "yes" days. I'm not sure if that affected the way I raised her, but I was always frank (without being scary) and we discussed things. I explained the "why" and never shirked her questions. Some things weren't negotiable, some were. I think it helped her become an intelligent, logical, compassionate, and responsible adult.

You seem to have done similarly with Claire, and I commend you for it. It's sometimes hard to do in a world that produces shows like that!

We did that in the Army, too.

"What color boots do you want, private? Black, or black? The green shirt, or the green shirt?" No conflict at 'tall.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:584462
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.