Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK US report: Bald eagle populations soar in lower 48 states

Some good news for a change.

Mooolah 8 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And Humpback whales are rebounding in great numbers.

Only 2 countries still hunt them officially. Norway & Japan.

I guess that means eagle toupee manufactures should be good investments.

ESG

@Mooolah MPQ

@Alienbeing [abbreviations.com]

@Mooolah I don't feel it necessary to look up your code.

@Alienbeing Then stop engaging me with your feelings. I will permit you the last response & I will not retort.

@Mooolah I don't seek your permission for anything.

They are rebounding here in Ky. There are two adults that fly over my apartment daily. A juvenile too.

Great to hear. They are off of the endanger species list currently. Last year for the 1st time a pair circled over my Wisconsin home. Juvenile & adult. Those unmistakable primary flight feathers & the circling on the updrafts. Gives me a thrill.

This is very good news. It only mentions the lower 48, are there no bald eagles in Alaska or Hawaii, and if there are, how are they doing?

Not in Hawaii. Alaska was a last strong hold in the 1960's when DDT was banned. The insecticide thinned the egg shells of birds. Squash! So a breeding program was set up & eagles have been successfully reproducing in the wild. I have actually seen them more than once & it is one of America conservationists greatest accomplishments. The return of our national symbol.

@Mooolah I always heard it was the lead from guns. Buckshot in scavenged food etc. I never looked it up before. Though I never knew of eagles being scavengers. Thanks.

@freeofgod Ben Franklin wanted the turkey as our symbol because bald eagles are more scavengers & thieves than hunters. Lead is a direct poison, an indiscriminant killer. It absolutely killed many eagles, but not being able to sit on eggs, incubation, sealed the extinction path until the government intervened. Lead shot picked up by birds mistaking shot for gravel, or pebbles, & anything feeding on a carcass would perish upon ingesting lead shot. These poisons are not exclusive. If it is a "cide" it kills.

Lots of Eagles in Alaska. They don't talk about it because they are numerous. I saw Eagles over my house yesterday.

@PondartIncbendog Riding the thermals

@Mooolah Pooping on my car.

@PondartIncbendog Doesn't your car have a poop proof roof? Convertable? So put the roof up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:584479
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.