Agnostic.com

18 0

Age difference dating

Is it possible for a man who is 50 to find a man in his 20's who understands what commitment really means? Being together through the good times and the bad. Even when you think you hate the other person.

BishopDB 3 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to date women who are in my age group, they're more apt to have experienced the things I have and also pop culture references usually don't fly over their head. Back to the age difference, I really don't wanna hook up with someone who's so young that they'll end up outliving me by 30 to 40 years and I'll end up being an afterthought like an old family pet.

My feeling, age has a lot more to do with emotional maturity than anything else. Some people in their 20's are more mature than some people in their 50's. Emphasis on some.

All our opnions differ !

I don't know about a man and a man, but I think that a man in his 50s and a woman in her 20s is too big of an age difference. The generational gap is too wide. When my wife and I were split up for a couple of years, I did date a couple of women who were 20 years younger than me. I felt that I could not identify with a lot of things they thought and did. They were just starting their young adult life and I was well past that period in my life. But that's just my opinion and my experience.

Only two people can answer that........ You and hIm! Persoally? Age doesnt always matter............

The best example of a successful relationship of this kid woudl be Christopher Isherwood (Write) and Don Bacardi (Artist). however, that demonstrates more the exception than the rule.

Most of the time huge age difference relgionships dont' last due to differents experiences and points of reference and dissimilar itnerests due to a "generation gap". I think it is even more uinlikely to work today as our culture and values ae changing much faster than they have in the past. Peopel with huge age differences also today have cultural differences, as the cultures they grew up in were very different.

Good luck.

I suppose. Personally, I could never date anyone my son's or father's ages because that would just be disgusting. So my perfect person would have to be somewhere between 28 and 72. A lot of options available.

I'm straight, but single. My oldest daughter is 35, so my lower-end cutoff is 36, otherwise it would feel icky. I prefer someone nearer my own age, though, since they will have had many of the same cultural touchstones.

In theory, it is certainly possible. I have a cousin who met her life partner when she was about 18 and her partner was in her 40s. The are still together, my cousin will be 55 in August so the other lady must be almost 80. I work with a guy who is 57 and his wife is over 80.

Dating different age groups are so exciting and liberating. Gives you a new perspetive on changing lifestyles.

Possible? I suppose so. I don't think it's likey, though. I was in a relationship with a mere 5 year difference, and it still sometimes caused issues. 20+ is a lot. I would stick with the 'half+7 rule'. It's where you take the older person's age, divide by 2, and add seven. That's the youngest they should (generally) date. But for me, I'm going to try to keep closer still to my own age if I can.

@OnaM I heard it from a friend. It's not perfect, but it's a good outline. You're 20? Don't date younger than 17 (especially if it's illegal!). You're 40? Don't date younger than 27. You're 60? Don't date younger than 37. I would hesitate to even go that young, but there's no reason to be judgmental about it. People can father children at 13, but you would hardly notice if an 83 year old was with a 70 year old.

@OnaM I have been presented with that formula before, I think it comes from "How I met your mother"?

@OnaM No doubt. Personally, I'm not interested in anything like that. And I would strongly caution others who were considering it, especially the younger of the two. But, it's their life to live, and it can work out, even if it's not likely.

Wha !?

I find that when a person seeks to date someone that is 30 or more years younger than they are that it's about control. Otherwise why wouldn't that person seek someone that they'll likely have more in common with? It's either that or they get turned on by having sex with someone they can call "kid" though who is legally an adult or just barely. That's another way that control factors into the equation - far easier to control impressionable minds than it is someone who is closer to your own age and less inclined to take your sh@t.

What he said.

I was a bit confused and not about the age difference! Why would you subject yourself to someone, YOU hated or that hated YOU? Hate, should play no part in a loving bond between people. Now, there will be anger, sometimes ligit and sometimes not...because people are not perfect. But, we need to own our feelings and then work out what is bugging us...then move on! More than anything, we need partners that work well, with our personality...whatever age they may be. Otherwise save yourself headaches and get a pet...

IMO the "HATE" can be an impediment to a happy relationship.

Anything is possible

Why would you want someone who has almost nothing in common with you? That has a small amount of life experience. Their common sense is not to par.

Doubtful. Even with heteros.
It's a very rare occasion when an extreme age difference (10 years +) works for any
significant length of time.

My ex is 38 and I'm now 71. We were married 12 years and it worked in til she moved out which was together about 10 years.

@DenoPenno There are always exceptions.

@OnaM how is that in any way incestuous? he never mentioned anything about being related in any way to her prior to marriage...

@OnaM So, I marry a younger African woman and it is suddenly incest. Thanks for telling me. I might seek out a therapist soon then.

@OnaM That was an unnecessary, judgmental assessment. I think you owe DenoPenno an apology.

@OnaM You are extrapolating a point to a truly ridiculous conclusion.You are insulting people you do not know, and you are making an unfounded accusation against someone. Either explain YOUR accusation, or you're just being a hypocrite. What do you know about that particular situation? Just because the age difference bothers you, does not mean you have any right to call someone a paedophile. Especially since no laws were broken. Don't come at me with your irrational assumptions, or your self-righteous moralizing. Grow up and learn to have a difference of opinion without making outrageous and unfounded claims, or slinging unnecessary insults. You STILL owe him an apology. Be an adult, accept that you completely over-reacted, and admit you said things you shouldn't have.

@OnaM You need to grow up and learn how not to project your own issues onto others. Oh, and you can keep your armchair psychological assessments.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:58526
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.