Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Biden’s Health Plan Shifts Even More Public Dollars Into Private Hands

"The medical-industrial complex — consisting of the private health insurance, pharmaceutical, hospital, and other related corporations — viewed single-payer as a threat to the industry’s bottom line and worked overtime to stop it. Health industry corporations and trade groups donated heavily to campaigns for federal office in 2008 and invested billions in lobbyists to shape the ACA in their favor. The Center for Public Integrity reports that a total of $3.47 billion was spent to double the number of health care lobbyists in Washington, D.C., in 2009. There were eight lobbyists per member of Congress. Millions were also spent on public relations campaigns to portray Medicare for All negatively and to convince people that what they really wanted was a choice of health insurance.

Progressive organizations also played a role in preventing national Medicare for All. Tens of millions of dollars were donated to establish a front group called Healthcare for America Now (HCAN), which was intentionally given a name similar to the national grassroots Medicare for All group, Healthcare Now. HCAN convinced advocates for universal health care that a single-payer system was not achievable, and that a more practical demand would be a public health insurance plan called a “public option.” It worked, and progressives became the loudest defenders of a bill that former Cigna executive Wendell Potter renamed the “Private Insurance Profit Protection and Enhancement Act” — even though it didn’t include a public option."

WilliamCharles 8 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[mediabiasfactcheck.com]

I have (for decades) been in favor of 'single-payer'.
Given the political polarization in the US, I strongly doubt it has any chance of happening.

I think that's the narrative corporate health care wants you to believe, but it's got overwhelming support among the electorate, from both parties.

@WilliamCharles "both parties" ? I have never seen/heard evidence of that, and you provide none. 😛

@FearlessFly - wow. I guess if you've never seen it, it must not be true. /s

The survey from 2018 had GOP voter support at 52%, and while that has dropped a bit, it’s still close to 50%.

[thehill.com]

And the media ratings you supply are themselves suspect. For example, the NYT doesn't have high reliability but instead are part of the corporate media manufacturing consent. Their reporter Judith Miller helped lie us into war with Iraq.

[mediabiasfactcheck.com]

@WilliamCharles I (mis)took your "both parties" to mean elected officials.
I don't doubt the polls. Regardless, I still think virtually no chance.
The Rs have voted 50+ times to repeal the ACA (they have never had a viable 'replace' ).

@FearlessFly - more on corporate media.

[salon.com]

@FearlessFly - the parties are supposed represent their constituents. Instead, they act as gatekeepers in the service of their corporate puppetmasters.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585529
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.