Agnostic.com

4 13

LINK A Christian School Apologized After a Guest Speaker Wasn’t Anti-LGBTQ Enough | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Earlier this month, the head of Iowa’s Center for Faith, Sexuality and Gender, Dr. Preston Sprinkle, gave a talk at Tennessee’s Lee University (a private Christian school) about how people of faith needed to show compassion for LGBTQ people. Given the Center’s Christian foundation and knowing the audience, Sprinkle spoke in full-on Christianese, celebrating how a trans person he knew had left the church but later returned due to the love he received from a pastor.

My first reaction to that was rolling my eyes, as if the trans person’s worth was entirely dependent on whether or not he was sufficiently Christian.

But people affiliated with the school had a different problem with it: Sprinkle never told the audience that being trans was a problem. He never said same-sex marriage (or any sexual relationship between two people of the same gender) was a sin. He talked about compassion but never about how LGBTQ people who aren’t ashamed of themselves are destined for hellfire and eternal torture.

snytiger6 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If Sprinkle had of talked about hellfire and condemned trans people the crowd would have loved it, but don't they always get that line anyway? What disturbs me is why any trans person would want to stay in the church or remain religious.

The hate-mongers must be kicking themselves that they did not find somebody who was sufficiently hateful to satisfy their own evil outlook.

I get kicked from twitter for saying this. But I'm gonna say it here. Some of these xtian bigots need a noose and horse.

Maybe he is starting to question his faith.

Or maybe he actually read the bible and took what Jesus supposedly said to heart... which is such a rarity among Christians.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585919
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.