Agnostic.com

4 7

LINK Healthism Is the Bias Many of Us Already Have | SELF

Healthism was coined by Robert Crawford in a 1980 paper for the International Journal of Health Services. In the 1970s the U.S. had seen a wave of renewed interest in holistic health and wellness, and Crawford was wary of how that investment in health was curdling into a perceived responsibility to seem healthy to others. He defined healthism as “the preoccupation with personal health as a primary—often the primary—focus for the definition and achievement of well-being; a goal which is to be attained primarily through the modification of life styles.” That is, for Crawford, healthism flattened the health of whole populations from a dynamic and multifaceted issue with many and varied influences, to a simple matter of personal responsibility. Crawford saw health as inherently political, a reflection of systems that create and perpetuate poverty, racism, misogyny, and more. But under healthism, health was an individual matter, not a systemic one, which meant that the individual was primarily responsible for their own health. “For the healthiest, solution rests within the individual’s determination to resist culture, advertising, institutional and environmental constraints, disease agents, or, simply, lazy or poor personal habits.”

altschmerz 9 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let me tell you something: Health is what makes Everything possible, Everything. So whatever motivations anyone has, it is a damned good thing!

@altschmerz weight has very little to do with actual fitness, duuuhhhhhh. If you are fat & develop diabetes or heart issues,you can usually greatly improve your health by losing some weight. But if you develop diabetes, for one example, as a thin person, you have Real trouble!

Have you ever heard the saying "you see alot of old people and you see alot of fat people, but you don't see alot of old fat people" ?

Tejas Level 8 Mar 31, 2021

Generally true. Most people with obesity also have diabetes and heart problems, if not also lung problems. That's a big part of why most of them don't make it to old age.

@altschmerz whos trolling?

@altschmerz You are right about all of that. Negative judgement is masked by fake concern. And nobody knows a person's body better than the one living in it, esp. if, like me, that person is a current or former athlete.

@altschmerz There are always exceptions, but they don't disprove the general trend.

Not true at all, just drive through any senior-citizen housing complex.. However, it Is all Women!

@AnneWimsey women on average only live a couple years longer than men. If you want to argue being fat is healthier than being fit then ill just direct you to most medical science.

still not sure if he is putting down "healthism" or recommending it? Obv putting it down, but seems like a kind of slippery slope imo; isn't health a personal matter?

ah, but i see that his point is the enforcing of health standards upon others, or iow gnosticism, basically? Yeh, just punch them in the face and move on imo 😀
j/k of course, but i mean what do you do about know-it-alls? They arent going anywhere i guess, and prolly aren't reading this article either

Wow, what a helpful article about a fight worth fighting, thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:586134
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.