Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK The Jewish community excommunicates Jews who support Palestinian freedom – Mondoweiss

"When you are Jewish and come out as an anti-Zionist, you get excommunicated. That is how the Jewish community works to support Israel. The Jewish community says directly, You may choose your community or what you call your sense of ethics. And if you persist, forget about your community, because Jewish life as we know it is committed to supporting Israel, the miraculous achievement of the Jewish people in the 20th century in the wake of the extermination.

As an optimist, I keep declaring that this “herem” — or ban– is softening. That young Jews who believe in justice are slowly taking over the community and an apartheid state is becoming impossible to defend. But I’m inside the anti-Zionist bubble, not the community, and an interview published last week gives me pause. It is with a friend, Rabbi Alissa Wise, who lately stepped down as deputy director of Jewish Voice for Peace. Wise has played a big role in growing that organization into a political force, as an openly anti-Zionist organization that supports BDS."

WilliamCharles 8 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The revelations of Rabbi Wise are both startling and troubling, but definitely not uncommon. In my own experience, to voice opposition to Zionism as a non-Jew brings forth a torrent of wrath and accusations of anti-Semitism, and to cite any Jewish voices has them summarily dismissed as "self-hating." When I have been told that I hate Jews, I would respond that their problem with me was merely that I liked and admired the "wrong" Jews.

The site owner and author of this piece is most familiar with the minefield speaking out entails.

:-----:

"I respect Wise’s choices. I like pluralism, I’m not a litmus test person. But having done this work for some time now and been subject to the same invective and ostracization, with the same initial emotional shock that Wise experienced, I’ve lost my romance about the Jewish community. It made a clear choice to cancel us. And I also made my choice: if excommunication is the cost of supporting Palestinian rights, bring it on. And to the extent Jewishness is important to me, which it still is, I am proud to have an outlaw Jewish community of friends."

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:587445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.