Agnostic.com

8 33

LINK BREAKING NEWS! FFRF lawsuit ends religious test to register to vote in Alabama - Freedom From Religion Foundation

Good news for our sides!!

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has attained a huge constitutional victory for secular voters in Alabama.

FFRF sued the Alabama secretary of state last October on behalf of four Alabama citizens who encountered and objected to a religious test to register to vote.

Now that the state of Alabama has amended all its voter registration forms to allow citizens to opt out of the religious oath, both online and in printed forms, the national state/church watchdog is voluntarily dismissing its federal lawsuit challenging the uniquely Alabamian mandatory religious voter registration oath.

“The Alabama secretary of state excludes Alabama citizens from being able to vote if they are unable to swear a religious oath,” stated the suit. “The secretary of state’s official policy is to hinder the registration of voters who are unable to swear ‘so help me God.’ This policy violates the rights of the plaintiffs and others under the First and 14th Amendments to the United States Constitution.”

HippieChick58 9 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a win 👍. We should not take it standing down or taking it lightly so I applaud FFRF in their fight to end these pathetic (god) laws.

Maybe, they should sue Georgia about voting suppression bs being overturned. I'm sure there is religious crap in that some where.

Interesting, I posted that same link less than a day ago and only got 1 reply. I guess it's a sign that women are getting the attention they deserve. LOL

You know, some day I hope to figure out the formula for what makes a post pop. Is it timing? Is it category? Is it title? Right now I don't have a clue. Luck of the draw, maybe.

@HippieChick58 I have tried things in the past which worked but then some accused me of misleading posts. Our posts were almost identical so who knows. Actually, the more that view a post like the better.
BTW, I got (another) letter in the latest issue. A guy here read it, looked me up and came over. He thought he was the only member on the island. Nope, lots of us. Anyway, we had a good chat and now I have a new friend.

We need Terrareason, not illusion...

tipi Level 7 Apr 8, 2021

For f##cks sake. I hate Alabama.

What did they put in its place, I wonder.

I am sure that the assholes in the legislature will find other ways of militating against atheists and devotees of other religions.

WTF?!?! I had no clue that sort of crap occurred. I am not well versed on a lot of things in south "law".

A lot of religious crap happens that are unbelievable. I can't imagine how we would be able to deal with some real crimes if not for FFRF. BTW, I got a letter (about DwD) in the latest issue. Funny, but cleaning out my garage recently, a truck pulled up and a guy I did not know got out and asked if I was Jack. Then he said he read my letter (he must have gotten an early copy) and was surprised he was not the only atheist here. I told him there were lots of us here. He and his wife are snowbirds and spend winters in Baja (but not this year and he did not like the cold and dark). We had a long conversation and knows numerous others on the island including my closest friends. He was also my biggest supporter on a posting to a group here (Lopez Rocks [lopezrocks.org] ) when I started a long discussion about a guy in our building supply store that would not wear a mask. The owners sided with the guy and actually threatened a woman who complained.

You mean to tell me that those who swore by the gods Odin, Thor and Zeus were barred from registering to vote?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:587931
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.