Agnostic.com

18 5

Afterlife

Hello, what do you think will happen when we die?
Throughout my journey of agnosticism, Death is the question I usually contemplate. I am taking a history degree but also passionate on Science and Philosophy 🀎 The evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins had noted in his book Science in the Soul: When we die our hormones became dry and our neurons become dust. What do you think?🧠☺️

Albert_Camus 5 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The one thing I agree with the bible....In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

There is no afterlife, if we allow nature to take it's course when we pass, we become part of the collective of elements required to continue life on this planet.

And then in 5 billion years we become part of the sun, then part of the cosmos

Yeah, probably, but for me I could not care less what happens after I die.

If you are religious person you will have imagined a heaven or hell or some place named purgatory. I have no reason to think that anyone goes anywhere when they die except to the crematorium or the cemetery where the deceased in lowered into a hole in the ground. In the words the late Dave Allen: "In the name of the father and the son and into the hole he goes."

idk, but i can suggest that believing ones ego will make it into some kind of immortality (Elysian fields) was known as "cult of sol invictus," from mithraism

personally i suspect that you die, get buried, and are pretty much forgotten, just like the Bible says, but idk

β€œThe nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff”.

– Carl Sagan

We don't know what happens when we die. We don't know if there is an afterlife.

an "afterlife" implies a...certain thing that lives, right
remember when you looked in a mirror and did not recognize your"self?"
before the age of about 18 months, iow?Native americans even have a ceremony for it

There is no reason to believe anything except non-existence.

@Alienbeing Do you have evidence for that statement? Are you saying you know there is nothing when you die?

@xenoview That is a strange question. The answer is I never saw or heard of any reason to believe in an afterlife, therefore my statement. Your question is asking me to prove I never heard of a reason. Did you think about your reply befire you hit "send"?

Can you show any reason to believe in an after life?

@Alienbeing So you have no evidence to back you claim? You are a funny troll.

@xenoview You are VERY strange! If you could read you would see that your question cannot be answered. How could I prove to you that I never heard of a reason to beleive in an afterlife? Tell me and i will.

Last, learn what a Troll is, you have no clue in that area either.

@Alienbeing Your are a troll. You troll my comments. You imply that I don't know how to read. There are three answers to my question, yes, no, and I don't know. Which is your answer.

@xenoview Not at all. I responded ONCE to you your initial comment. EVERYTHING since then asks you how I could possibly prove I never heard of a reason to believe in an afterlife.

I did not imply you don't know how to read I STATED you do not, no inplication at all. If you could comprehend what you read you would have enlightened me how I could possibly have evidence for my statement and you would have given a reason to believe in an afterlife.

You proved you don't know what a Troll is, thanks.

@Alienbeing You are a troll. You have no evidence that there is no afterlife. If you do, then enlighten me with it.

@xenoview You are beyond hope and not worth discussion.

Bye

It is the age old mystery and fear of death and superstition which leads to the delusion of the soul. The spirit world, which we now call heaven, is but human imagination. It is delusional to seriously believe that heaven is out there somewhere, when it is only in the human mind. So, just as all creatures do, we will die. I had a botany prof who opposed the practice of burying the dead and said they should be returned to the earth. What is it that goes out when life ends? GROG

GROG Level 6 Apr 9, 2021

yeh imo it is a crime to be encasing bodies in cement and caskets and whatever eh?

i think a lot of stuff happens after we did and it happens without us (i am paraphrasing someone else's thought but i do think this as well). when we die there isn't anything of us left to go to an "afterlife." it is pure fantasy. we can observe what happens to people physically when they die and while we don't know how consciousness works exactly we do know about the neurons you mentioned. if they're gone, we're gone. i don't understand why, other than wishful thinking, this is even a question.

g

Death is inevitable for all living things. Why concentrate on it while we are alive? Why not take advantage of life while we have it?

As far as I can tell, Dawkins was correct about hormones and nerves. Is there anything else that persists? Not that scientists have been able to measure as of yet. The best evidence I am aware of indicates Dawkins is correct, but who knows? Until then ...

The better question, imo, is how would you live your life differently if you knew one way or the other?

I think Dawkins was right. After death you cease to exist. You have the same standing in the universe as you did before you were conceived i.e. none, you no longer exist.

BULLSEYE!!

right out of the bible too πŸ™‚
sorry

Mel Blancs epitaph, "That's all folks" πŸ˜‰

what do I think will happen when we die

Decomposition and recycling.

A lot happens when you die, it is just you are not a part of it anymore. But you can comfort yourself with the thought that some animals will get a good meal, and you will not have to take the lives of any more animals and plants to keep your living going.

When you are dead you are dead. You live no more. If this disturbs you try to remember before you were alive. It cannot be done. I fear the pain of death in some accident, etc. I do not fear ceasing to exist. Yes, of course, you will have unfinished business but that is just the nature of things.

Do you remember the last episode of the Sopranos? Fade to black.

It’s a great song too!!

@CuddyCruiser Fade to Black or Don't Stop Believin'?

When you're dead, you're dead.
Your existence ceases to be.
Death is final, and that's okay.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588256
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.