Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Wayne LaPierre Admits Living High On NRA’s Dime, But Claims Only He Can Keep ‘Charity’ Solvent | Above the Law

The National Rifle Association is not bankrupt. In fact, the NRA boasts on its own website that it’s in its “strongest financial condition in years.” Nonetheless, the organization filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on January 15 in the Northern District of Texas in a bid to reorganize itself right out of a prosecution by the State of New York for appalling self-dealing and fiscal mismanagement.

Or, as the NRA puts it (again, on its own website), “This action is necessitated primarily by one thing: the unhinged and political attack against the NRA by the New York Attorney General.”

As of today, the NRA is a 501☕(4) registered in New York. But it hopes to reincorporate in Texas, working on the assumption that Texas AG Ken Paxton is unlikely to concern himself with how the gun group spends donor money.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Corruption

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 10, 2021

He is definitely a master con man and that's what it takes with an organization like that.

The Slime Factor here is outrageous. How in the fuck can the NRA be a charity for starters? How does the Board of Directors become so out of touch? The Board has fiduciary responsibility, all of them may be in deep ship yogurt as my father calls it. Years ago wasn't the NRA about gun safety classes and responsible gun ownership? What happened? How does LaPierre get away with all his crap?

One thing the Right sees incorrectly is that most of the Liberals I have asked simply have no interest in owning a firearm, many have never even held one in their hands. That said, those same Liberals have no desire to strip the guns from lawful owners. The gun owners I know actually have similar views. Some gun owners I know want strict background checks and long waiting periods, almost none want no regulation, the majority are mostly in the middle and want safe communities balanced with their rights.

MizJ Level 8 Apr 9, 2021

My dad and brothers were hunters, and my dad reloaded shotgun shells. I was around firearms all my life. I have had military service, I have handled automatic weapons and a few bigger than that. That said, as a civilian and a parent I did not want weapons in my home. I have not handled any firearms in over 30 years. I think anyone should be allowed to privately own weapons as long as 1: they are insured with liability insurance. 2: They have had training, they are licensed and are bonded. 3: The weapons and ammunition are stored in a locked container. 4: The weapons also have trigger locks. 5: The weapons are registered with state and local authorities. For the most part I want weapons treated like vehicles. Get insurance involved, you will see the rash of crimes with weapons decrease in short order.

@HippieChick58 Too many children die due to firearms accidents, you made wise choices.

The argument against registration is usually that people are paranoid that the "authorities" will then seize their weapons. I lived in a place that was robbed years ago. My housemate had unregistered weapons, it gives me nightmares wondering what happened to those guns.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588311
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.