Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK There’s Never Been a Better Time to Abolish the Monarchy

"Conservatives on both sides of the Atlantic love Britain’s monarchy because “royals” are emotionally potent mascots of extreme inequality and deference. There’s no reason this heinously undemocratic institution should exist."

WilliamCharles 8 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have a close friend here who is British. She constantly talks about how much the monarchy brings in, in tourism and other regal themed events/products.

Just looking across the Atlantic and the last four years of Donald Trump’s presidency makes me appreciate that our UK parliamentary democracy with an apolitical monarch as titular head of state is better than any republic with an elected politician as president could ever be. The British monarchy needs modernising and reformed along the lines that the Scandinavian countries have taken, but I don’t think there is a case for abolition to replace it with a worse system. The modern democratic Parliamentary monarchies such as Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Netherlands work well, and produce the happiest and most affluent citizens in the world.

I tried a Msg (the history comment) but it is not available on your profile.

@JackPedigo I don’t understand why it isn’t.

@Marionville I just checked again and still not there.

@JackPedigo Can’t you message me at all? I receive and send messages to quite a few others with no problem.

@Marionville Found the problem. There's a switch in the bottom right corner and it was off.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.